PDA

View Full Version : Remora Protein Skimmer

Anthony872
05/20/2001, 04:10 PM
I am planning on putting a 55 gallon reef tank in my small bedroom. I did my research and found that the AquaC Remora would be a good choice skimmer for a tank of that size. Im just a little worried about the noise that it will be making since this is in a bedroom. What I want to know is if anyone knows just how noisy it is and if it is noisy if there is a more quiet one out there? Thanks

bigtank
05/20/2001, 04:18 PM
I have a Remora Pro in my room. It's not very loud, but too loud to sleep with it running.

For a 55, I would get the Pro and replace the crappy Rio with a Mag 3 pump. Just my .02.

Anthony872
05/20/2001, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by bigtank
I have a Remora Pro in my room. It's not very loud, but too loud to sleep with it running.

For a 55, I would get the Pro and replace the crappy Rio with a Mag 3 pump. Just my .02.

Thanks for the reply, but im not looking to buy a Remora Pro, Im looking at the slightly smaller Remora.

bigtank
05/20/2001, 04:25 PM
The Pro is a much better skimmer, about 3 times as effective. IMHO, the regular Remora is really too small for a 55.

Rovert
05/20/2001, 04:35 PM
Anthony -

You might also look at the Prizm, which IMO is fine for your size tank, and is priced very nicely @ around $70. Just about every skimmer makes noise, since they're all designed around pumps and/or motors that make bubbles in a chamber. That makes noise, and there's no getting around it. However, you don't need to run it all night, either. If you put the skimmer on a timer, you should be OK for 8 - 10 hours without it.

Good luck!

bajathree
05/20/2001, 05:22 PM
I agree with bigtank. I run both a Pro on a 58 and a Remora on a 25, I would go with the Pro for a 55.

Colin
05/20/2001, 09:18 PM
I have a Remora on a 55, it works great. I think the pro would be a good choice if you plan to upgrade someday.

Replace the Rio pump on the Remora with a Maxi-Jet 1200. It is very quiet and works really well. I can hardly hear mine now. Keep in mind that it may take a week or two to break in.

--Colin

hesaias
05/20/2001, 10:05 PM
I run a Remora W/ a MJ 1200 on my 58 gal reef. I feed real heavy and the remora keeps up. Noise is not a prob in the living room. I have a Prizm on my 20 long in the BR, and its not too noisy either. I dont think the prizm would be big enough for a 55, though.
HTH

lakerfan
05/20/2001, 11:58 PM
The remora isn't really that loud. If it is too loud for your taste then do what a lot of people have done and put a big rubber band around the collection cup which decreases the noise greatly. Personally, i think the remora will do fine on a 55.IMO

Rays
05/21/2001, 09:02 AM
I have a CPR BakPaK II, (purchased first) and a Remora Aqua C(it's in the garage) wicked, wicked noisy!! I may try the Maxi 1200 on it, a lot of people seem to like that combo.