PDA

View Full Version : Dripping DTs

KrakenSeas
05/20/2001, 02:26 PM
Has anyone heard of dripping Phyto over the course of a day?I think that this would give the tank a better more natural supply of phyto.Give me your input.Thanks

PerryinCA
05/20/2001, 02:58 PM
I think its a novel idea. I would be worried about the phyto going bad after a few days, but if you refill every day or two, might not be a bad idea. I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet. Hmmm....:::brain working:::;)

Let us know if you try it and see anything.

-Perry

DJREEF
05/20/2001, 04:06 PM
This would probally work if you could somehow keep the phyto suspended in solution. The algae adhere to the sides of the container when kept at room temp.

DJ

slojmn
05/20/2001, 04:10 PM
There was a lot of discussion about this last summer at reefs.org. I remember someone discussing setting up a thermos with RO/DI ice cubes and having the DT's or cryopaste(now I can't remember which, might have been cryopaste) in the thermos with a drip system throughout the day. Seems like the same theory could work for the DT's although less ice might be needed.

sammystingray
05/20/2001, 04:10 PM
I agree. You know how you have to shake the bottle each time before feeding? If you ever forgot to do this you would have seen that it isn't even the same color and everything settles. Also I don't think you could drip it slow enough without mixing it into something else anyway. BTW DTs is really good stuff in my opinion, and I've seen good results after I started using it awhile back.

Avi
05/20/2001, 05:39 PM
maybe u can keep an air stone running in the bucket or whatever that is dripping the DT's

OSBrain
05/20/2001, 08:38 PM
Check out this thread.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=22999

Same topic. Maybe you could email the guys who do drip it.

Brian

LiquidShaneo
05/21/2001, 12:32 AM
Couldn't you use one of those cups you put in the freezer that contains water in a double-wall for beer to keep the phyto cold during the dripping period? That container wall would stay cold for at least 12 hours... Wouldn't be hard to make at all...

liquid