PDA

View Full Version : my anemone

candied_apples_2000
05/20/2001, 01:02 PM
hi everyone :)
i had an accident with my anemone a few days ago when it ws sucked into a powerhead and it tore it to pieces. well it is doing great! talk about a will to live.:) well i was wondering now that i see no open wounds on it now and it looks naked. will it grow its tentacles back??????

GOOD (G)REEF
05/20/2001, 01:19 PM
I don't know about that, but you should get some sponges to cover the intakes on your PH's. Most all anemones wander until they find a good spot, so you should really get the sponges. Also, I heard this from another reefer on the board: when you are placing an anemoine try ti give it good light, good oxygen levels, and good current in addition to its preferred substrate. This should keep it from wandering. HTH!

P.S. If I had to guess, I would think that the anemone would grow them back. It's really great that you were able to save it! Good luck with it!

candied_apples_2000
05/20/2001, 01:44 PM
i did get sponges and i had JUST put him in the tank, so he was wandering to find a spot and got caught in it. i felt so bad but he is doing really great! if it weren't for the missing appendages you would never know he went through something so traumatic. silly anemone, hehe! :D

OrionN
05/20/2001, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by candied_apples_2000
....if it weren't for the missing appendages you would never know he went through something so traumatic. silly anemone, hehe! :D

Nah, careless reefkeeper rather than silly anemone.

Rick
05/20/2001, 03:24 PM
gina,
what kind of anem.do you have .I had a condi.get stuck in a power head ,tenicals and foot ripped,grew everything back and is huge.3 yrs later, largest thing in the tank .feed him if you can .
rick

candied_apples_2000
05/20/2001, 03:25 PM
i am so glad i am the only careless reefkeeper on the board! i only asked if it would heal itself not wether i was a careless with my animals. so thank you very much for making me feel worse than i did! does no good to look on the bright side, that i did keep it alive by floating him in a container in my tank with the air and babied him all a long. if i didn't care i would have flushed him.

candied_apples_2000
05/20/2001, 03:49 PM
sorry rick and thank you for the answer.it is a heteractis magnifica. and its about the size of a salad plate. beautiful animal. i let him leave the container i had him in when he was ready and now it looks happy in the spot he picked. hasn't moved from there yet. again i am sorry for venting to all on the board. have a nice day. :)

GOOD (G)REEF
05/20/2001, 04:01 PM
Wow a ritteri. Glad you saved it and it's doing well. They are beautiful animals.

Neal358
05/20/2001, 05:00 PM
i would think it would grow back. i see new growth on my bubblr tip all the time. it might not grow back in the are were it was danaged but if its still helth whan it grows large i would thin new tenticals would grow with it. and for a week or 2 i would feed it a little extra

ltstring
05/20/2001, 06:23 PM
Hello Gina,
Don't feel bad. Some people have to make theirselves feel superior to others and to do so they kick them when their down.
My first fish got lost one day soon after I placed him in the tank. I called my lfs to see if they would take my brittle star. It was the only thing else in the tank, had to have eaten my fish!
I turned off the powerheads to get star out and my fish fell out of it! A lesson learned! Nobody ever warned me about not putting a sponge on them.
Hope you feel better and keep taking good care of your anenome!!
Regards,

candied_apples_2000
05/20/2001, 07:28 PM

zerrez
05/20/2001, 08:02 PM
Have to agree that was an very not needed slam there. She was asking for help not for you to flame her. Keep it to yourself if you got nothing nice to say.

JSC
05/20/2001, 09:19 PM
Yes the anemone should grow back its tentacles fine as it grows. I had this happen to my oldest e.quad twice and it has doubled/tripled its size since then and grew many many more tentacles. One time it was really bad and lost about 50 tentacles and ripped a 1/2 inch gash in its base.
At least it only took happening once for you to fix the problem :).

candied_apples_2000
05/20/2001, 09:31 PM
thanks for the answers. i am glad i fixed the problem also. i got an amazing bubble tip tuesday and i wouldn't want it to happen to it either. i have these guys in a 55 and i just purchased a 90 so they will be even happier. thanks again.