PDA

View Full Version : Prizm Protein Skimmer

tomatoeclown
05/20/2001, 11:02 AM
I just ordered the Prizm for my 46gal bowfront tank, my tank is reef, it has been up for 4 months now I used to have a Berlin hang-on skimmer rated for up to 250gal tank, but I broke it the other day trying to clean it, don't ask me how but I have had this skimmer for 2 years now it did a great job, wanted to get the same one but did not want to spend 2 much $ for a hang-on skimmer again, since I will be going with a bigger tank in the future which will have a sump, how goood is ths Prizm and will it be efficient for my 46gal, if anyone has one let me know how you like it and how efficient is it, thanks again, cya.

tomatoeclown
05/20/2001, 11:13 AM
anyone!

tomatoeclown
05/20/2001, 11:45 AM
anyone

Neal358
05/20/2001, 11:47 AM
I dont have it but i have only herd good things about it. and from what i have herd i wouldnt put it on anything biger then a 55 gal tank so for right now i think that skimmer would be a good choice.

ps when you do get a biger tank and a sump i think the best skimmer for your money is the turb flotor 1000. it is an AWSOME skimer

tomatoeclown
05/20/2001, 11:50 AM
I was thinking the same thing, will get the turbo-floater 1000 for the bigger tank, cya.

noidster
05/20/2001, 12:09 PM
Hey tomatoeclown,
I have had the prizm for about two months on my 20 gal.
It works really well for the price and size and I am very happy with it. It should do ok on your tank but you will for sure need to upgrade your skimmer if you get any larger of a tank. When you get the skimmer examine the pumps impeller and count how many blades it has on it. It will most likely have 12 but if it is coming from somewhere that sells a lot of these skimmers it may have 18 blades. The 18 blade impeller skims better, is quieter, and reduces bubbles into the tank. You can call red sea and they will send you the new impeller if you get the 12 blade one with yours. I called them and had it within 3 days for free!

Noidster

villious
05/20/2001, 03:50 PM
I have one on a 58 gallon. Works great!
I really like mine.

Rovert
05/20/2001, 04:04 PM
Ditto votes for the Prizm. Had mine 2 months now, and it's great, so O bought a second for a Q tank I'm setting up.

Although it's rated to 90 gallons, I wouldn't go that high, but I don't agree with everyone that says it's only good for up to a 55. I think it can do more, but that's just an opinion - I have no data to back it up. Just an eyeball of what it's pulled out of my tank.

If you do a search on PRIZM, you'll see other positive comments on this unit.