PDA

View Full Version : Still Waiting

Reef or Golf
05/20/2001, 10:43 AM
Well my last post was over a month ago and I am still waiting for my Nitrates to fall to 0, before putting anything in my tank. 75 gallon with a 3 to 4 inch sand bed and 80lbs of live rock. Aqua C Ramora skimmer, 3 Maxijet 1200's, and a penguin filter with two biowheels. "And something else that gets stuck inside the filter kinda blue looking and flat kinda looks like steel wool." Why after two months actually a little longer has my tank not cycled? The tank has had a small algea bloom diatoms and some red and green algea but that is it nothing else. But like I said the sand is still so called dead nothing in it and there is no "clean-up-crew" just rocks and sand any help would be appreciated. Oh ya everything else test out at 0 except ph its like at 8.2 temp 83 Test kits are not the best They are Aqua Lab IV test strips

FishBait
05/20/2001, 10:58 AM
Sorry I didn't catch your first post, but did you ever experience ammonia/nitrite spikes? If yes, then the tank IS cycled. All of the ammonia (if you had it) would now have been converted to nitrate. Unless there is good denitrification (ie. a matured DSB) then there will be nothing to remove your nitrates, so their levels remain. You may also consider removing the bio-wheels on your Penguin as well as the filter cartridges. BTW...what type of substrate are you using?

Reef or Golf
05/20/2001, 11:06 AM
I am using 10 agromax "spelling" and 90 SD Play Sand the Every thing has spiked and is back down except for the nitrate. Mature DSB will everything not die in the DSB with the Nitrates at 40 to 50 parts The kit says it is not toxic but do I trust this? also any info on places that sells stuff to start my dsb maturing?? If that makes sense also remove the bio wheels and filter cartridge??? why? Nitrate gets trapped in there maybe??
Thanks

Joez
05/20/2001, 11:26 AM
Add some macro algae and get rid of the biowheels.

You can add a fish of your choice also. These additions will get things going.

If you haven't already done so, get another test kit and try it.

FishBait
05/20/2001, 11:32 AM
Hello again, well it sounds like you have the right stuff for the sandbed. On to the DSB info. First of all, a mature DSB contains lots of "critters" that include polychaete worms (bristleworms), amphipods, copepods, as well as aerobic (needing oxygen) bacteria to convert ammonia-nitrite-nitrate, and anaerobic (not needing oxygen) bacteria to convert nitrate-nitrous oxide-nitrogen gas (still with me :D ) Basically a good functioning DSB has alot of these and the anaerobic bacteria to process your nitrates which keeps them at very low levels. This can take time for them to become established...have you seen any bubbles in your sand yet? If so, then it's working and just give it time. Your nitrate level is not toxic to these bacteria as it serves as food for them. And I highly doubt it is even going to harm the other "stuff" living in the sand as well. You asked for some good sources to start the sandbed...I myself have not gotten any of these kits so I can't tell you the best places to go, however others here can. As for my advice about removing the bio-wheels and cartridges...here' why. First of all the bio-wheels will not be necessary at all with good live rock/sand, and because of its wet/dry action, may even (tho not largely) lead to higher nitrate levels. And the cartridges, unless you rinse them once or even twice a week, will collect alot of debris which will decompose and release nitrates as well. Neither of these pieces of equipment will remove nitrates. Besides, not only are they sources of nutrient accumulation, but it's more work to mess with ;)

Reef or Golf
05/20/2001, 11:42 AM
Joez and Fishbait thanks for the info as soon as I get off work I will do what you all said also anybody have any suggestions on kit for the DSB or any other info on were I can get them one at a time

FishBait
05/20/2001, 11:47 AM
I don't know for sure, but I believe Dr. Ron says that Inland Aquatics and Premium Aquatics have good detritevore kits, I THINK.