PDA

View Full Version : worn out questions with a twist (kinda long)

mountainreefer
05/20/2001, 09:58 AM
I am a newbe setting up a new tank (30 Gal. long). I have read books (old and outdated...Then I got smart and bought new). And frequent these boards. Here's the deal.. I set up a tank with cc and cycled with damsils (on advice of friends and lfs... please don't cuss me).... my cycle just ended about a week ago. Now (that I am a little smarter) I am changing to Southdown sand... I haven't added rock yet.. My filter system consist of a Magum canaster and a bio-wheel /charcol setup (the wheels came from an established tank).

I am losing the bio balls in the magum slowly (again I'm a little smarter).

I have 3 friends that have had tanks for years using no sand base, no skimmers, using the same filters as I am with beautful results. (they do do 10% water changes a week).

My question is do I really need a skimmer or does it just make life easier?????

Will my filter system work????
Thanks

DgenR8
05/20/2001, 10:56 AM
MR,
I use a skimmer, won't tell you that you NEED one, but I've been convinced by many others that they are beneficial and at worst, "couldn't hurt".
That said, I'd like to warn you about those BIO-WHEELS. I used them successfully in FRESH WATER for a few years. I believe that they are a fantastic mode of bio filtration when used in their propper place :)
They are NOT good for a marine environment, when I started my S/W tank, I put 4 of them on my 125. Shortly there after, I was warned by someone on this board that they rust. I had to open one up to expose the metal rod through the middle and oh yes, it was quite rusted!!!!
BIOWHEELS no good for marine tanks

Agu
05/20/2001, 03:58 PM
mountainreefer,

First of all
[welcome]

The equipment used is to some degree determined by what you're planning to keep in the tank. A fish only can be successfully run with the equipment you mention (no experience with the rusting). However once you get into corals the nitrates will probably be too high. Using lr, a dsb, and a skimmer maintains water quality much better, with fewer mechanical things to go wrong. As far as skimmers go, they actually remove waste, other filters process the waste and leave it in the tank in a less toxic form. You still have to export the nutrients one way or another, there's just a lot less using a skimmer.

If you add sand leave the mechanical filters on and add live rock. That will minimize the cycle and help clear the water more quickly. Once it clears you can remove the mechanical filtration media.

Agu