PDA

View Full Version : nudibranch that eats flatworms

RhondaJ
05/20/2001, 09:45 AM
I am thinking of getting one of these but can't find them anywhere. Can anyone tell me where on the net I might find one? Also has anyone kept one before with much luck? I asked Dr Ron about them as I have heard that they release toxins when they die so I was worried about getting one. He said that because they are so small and I have a 125 gal tank that their toxins shouldn't do any harm. He also said that they aren't true nudibranch. I am just so worried about putting anything in the tank that might harm something else. What is your opinion on these?

MJB
05/20/2001, 10:27 AM
I bought a couple of them from Aquacon about 3 days ago and they were the last ones they had in stock. Called Inland Aquatics and they had some but were using them in their own tanks for flatworm control. Lots of people carry them but they sell out real quick. I suggest you look in the index of vendors listed in RC and try dialing around from names you read about. They are only a couple of inches long so they probably wouldn't do too much damage if they die off IMO but....??? Do they work? Inland Aquatics and others on this site seem to think so. In my case the jury is still out. Good luck.
----Mark

Duncanmurf
05/20/2001, 12:25 PM
Rhonda,
you can call aquacon every couple of days because they receive shipments daily. I have used the little fellas for flatworms a few times and they are super. Within SECONDS of being introduced to a tank they are eating. As far as dying in a tank, well usually I remove them (if I find them)before they die from no more worms to eat. Other wise I dont worry about them. HTH.

Duncan.

MJB
05/21/2001, 11:07 AM
Rhonda,
Thought you'd like a quick update on the flatworm eradication program. Put 2 nudibranchs from Aquacon in on Sat. morning. One disappeared and I haven't seen it since. The good news is that the other has been eating flatworms which I witnessed for myself this morning. The bad news is that I doubt if one or two of these things can solve the flatworm problem in a large tank (I have a 90 gal w/30 gal sump). Maybe over a period of weeks. They eat a few and rest for a while. Anyway it was satisfying to see the flatworms running away (they can move pretty quickly) and getting snapped up even if it was only a few. Plus the nudibranchs are quite beautiful. So, Duncanmurf's advice about keeping in touch with Aquacon (and Inland as well)is probably correct if you haven't found some already. I called for a couple of weeks and finally scored and I feel better that I at least tried some form of natural control. Good luck------MJB