PDA

View Full Version : Limnalia(sp)

MJB
05/20/2001, 09:42 AM
I've had a Lemnalia for a while and its beginning to pinch off some of the larger polyps. While I generally consider this a good thing the daughters are rather precariously balanced on a ledge where they will eventually get blown around to someplace that they don't belong or I don't want them (derivation of Murphy's Law). I've read a few places that you can take a toothpick and use it to attach the daughters to a plug or rock but that was for cuttings. Would this be an acceptable way of securing them? I am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance-------Mark

gas4544
05/20/2001, 10:11 PM
My Lemnalia has dropped some babies in the past, too. I'm not familiar with using toothpicks to secure them, though. When I want to secure coral to a rock, I use Oatey's Epoxy Putty. It comes in a tube and can be found in the plumbing section of your local hardware store.

MJB
05/21/2001, 11:14 AM
Gas,
Thanks for the response. I've used Epoxy and super glue to cement SPS frags and softies that were attached to rocks and so forth. Can I apply the epoxy right to the soft tissue?
Thanks -----MJB

gas4544
05/21/2001, 12:16 PM
When I wrote tube in my description I didn't realize that could also mean like "a tube of toothpaste". See the following post for a description of the packaging:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=14131

Cut a slice off the end of the roll of putty and knead it with your fingers according to the instructions. You then have a minute or so before it starts to harden. Mold some of the putty around the base of the coral and onto the rock. Sometimes you have to try a couple of times before you get a good bond between the coral and the rock. After awhile, coralline algae starts to grow right over the putty so it looks natural.

MJB
05/21/2001, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the follow-up I'll give it a try and I'll use this occasion to push my now burgeoning post total well into double figures.
-----Mark