PDA

View Full Version : Durso startup question

Nanook
05/20/2001, 08:04 AM
Hi, I am setting up my 120g this Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have the Durso standpipe system setup and ready to go. When I fill my tank with water, how far up do I have to fill the overflows to get it to start working? Is there anything special that needs to be done first? thanks,

nanook

leo
05/20/2001, 08:14 AM
Nanook01, I don't have an answer for you but I'm wondering what a Durso is. Sorry if I'm changing the subject a bit.

Nanook
05/20/2001, 08:25 AM
Hey Leo, a Durso standpipe is a modification for reef ready tanks to make them quieter. The drain pipes or bulkheads that came with my 120g Oceanic tank are plastic pipes with hundreds of tiny holes to drain water into the sump. Many reefers aliken the noise to that of a flushing toilet. Rich Durso, a fellow reefer, came up with this modification to create a quiet entry of water from the tank into the sump. Most people probably build their own, based on his website, I bought mine from him.

There is also the Stockmann modification, which I am not familiar with. I didn't want to have a noisy reef tank, hence the purchase of the Durso Standpipes. He has a website that can be found on the board here. Hope that helps,

Nanook

golfish
05/20/2001, 08:38 AM
Nanook,
Make them as tall as you can, the taller they are the less the water has to drop down in the overflows. I have Stockman stand pipes in my reef.......its no biggy, you'll figure it out

Mark

original-reefland
05/20/2001, 10:03 AM
Nanook01,

Just turn the pumps on, the pipe is self priming, it will fill up as much as needed. Nothing you should have to worry about.

Wouldn't hurt to be ready to pull the plug just in case however. :c)