PDA

View Full Version : Kole Gone Wild

Bemmer
09/04/2003, 08:57 PM
I recently purchased a Kole Tang and up until yesterday, it seemed fine. Now it is doing all kinds of wild high speed moves around the tank and has cut itself on the live rock. It is moving very fast and darting back and forth in the tank. I have a 120 gal tank and this tang is one of 7 fish in the tank. I don't think it is an issue with space in the tank. This seems like very strange behavior to me...or is this normal for a Kole tang. Either way it is not very relaxing to watch this fish do backflips in the tank. Any thoughts on what is causing this strange behavior or what I should do?

Thanks. :confused:

cusweatin
09/04/2003, 09:21 PM
i had the same problem with a powder brown my lfs told me that sometimes tangs do that. Not sure how true that was since mine was doing about 3000mph through the tank. I figured he was diseased or sick so i removed him. I can tell you i have a kole tang now and ive never seen him do that. I would check your water first and hope for the best

naesco
09/04/2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Bemmer
I recently purchased a Kole Tang and up until yesterday, it seemed fine. Now it is doing all kinds of wild high speed moves around the tank and has cut itself on the live rock. It is moving very fast and darting back and forth in the tank. I have a 120 gal tank and this tang is one of 7 fish in the tank. I don't think it is an issue with space in the tank. This seems like very strange behavior to me...or is this normal for a Kole tang. Either way it is not very relaxing to watch this fish do backflips in the tank. Any thoughts on what is causing this strange behavior or what I should do?

Thanks. :confused:

No it is not normal. It is an indication that something is stressing the kole. What else is in the tank? Is there any evidence of parasites etc.
How old is your tank?
Sometimes new reefers unwittingly stress their fish out of concern for them. Stay away from the tank and observe from a distance.
Turn the lights in the tank off for a full day and keep the room dark. It helps fish to settle down.
If the stressor is dealt with your tang will settle down. Remember that the kole needs film algae so keep part of the back glass dirty. Pile some of those smooth blue stones you see at LFS. It will soon be covered in algae and it doubles as a pod' home.
Kole tangs are one of the best tangs to have.

REEForm: Never buy fish from the Philippines or Indonesia where the use of cyanide is rampant.

Bemmer
09/05/2003, 06:10 AM
Thank you for your response. Here is some information on my tank: My perimeters are a: pH is 8.2 ppm; ammonia is 0; nitrites: 0 and nitrates are 80 ppm.
The tank is about a month old but purchased used and set up for two years prior to my purchase.
I purchased several fish in two groups. The first group, which included the Kole also included a Naso, Firefish, Royal Gramma and a Flame Angel. I purchased them through the LFS that I frequent. All the fish in this group had been at the LFS for at least two weeks, perhaps longer. I did not QT them. The second group, which I added to the tank a week later after QTing them are two small Hippo Tangs.
I am working on reducing the nitrate level through weekly water changes and reducing their feedings to once a day. I had been feeding twice a day and had two pieces of seaweed algae soaked in garlic sitting in thet tank attached to live rock for grazing. I am also purchasing a new protein skimmer as that is also used.
I currently have a Purple tang in QT tank waiting to acclimate.

:worried:

LX302
09/05/2003, 06:27 AM
What size is your tank?
Sounds like you have too many fish for your tank at the moment, and your going to add more?
I would work to reduce your nitrate level down. I don't like it to go above 10-20ppm. Once you get your skimmer, it should help.

4 Tangs in any tank but a very large one is not a good idea. A 1/2" of fish (fully grown length)per 2 gallons is the maximum I would go with a FOWLR tank.

Bemmer
09/05/2003, 06:36 AM
I have a 120 gallon tank with 140 lbs of Fuji and Tonga live rock and approx. 60 lbs of live CaribSea Aragonite reef sand about 3-4 inches deep. The live rock and sand are about two years old.

I thought that I may have too many Tangs but I bought all the fish at one LFS and he helped me pick the fish. He was very much aware of the number of fish. I asked if it was too many and he did not think so because of the size of my tank. In hinesight, which is always 20/20, I may have made a mistake. Trying to rectify the situation so I don't loose any of the fish.

hwynboy
09/05/2003, 11:22 AM
Ahhhhhh...it's all making sense to me now.
Rule number one in responsible reefing

NEVER EVER listen to your LFS for advice. I don't care if he is your best friend...so many people get such bad advice from an LFS. The ultimate decision is yours but look at it this way. If an LFS tells you yeah go ahead its ok to buy this and stick it in your tank....do the math. He has a business, overhead, employees and the like he has to pay for on a monthly or weekly basis. If you dont buy that overpriced hippo or two you are not helping him to make the cut. People here on RC we don't care what you spend on your fish $1 or $100 but we do care about the safe environment you can provide for your new fish. Advice here is abundant and it's from people who care about fish not about making money on selling you stuff. And I would agree with what has been said that you have too large a load in your tank. Tangs need room to swim and may be overcrowded at this point. I would see if the hippos can go back to the LFS and set up a QT tank for the kole. Poor guy...and if none of that works and your kole dies...well he is one of the best eating fish out there in Hawaii. :mixed:

Bemmer
09/05/2003, 12:08 PM
Thank you all for your advice. I really feel bad about the situation. I knew against my better judgement that I should not overload on the fish, especially the tangs...but unfortuantely, that is what happened. I just called the LFS and he will not take any of the fish back and is telling me not to worry and "things will work out". I have worked very hard on my research but emotions got the better part of me once I got the main tank up.

On a better note, the Kole is doing better today. I have kept the lights off all day and he is acting like his (or her) normal self. The Kole is not swimming erratically like last night and appears to be doing just fine.

Also, I have cut the feedings back to once a day, as mentioned by others earlier...regarding the nitrates.

Thanks again. I learned many lessons from this and the big ones are to follow my instincts and find another LFS. I researched that too but I continue to "live and learn". I will continue to utilize the great wealth of information, advice and knowledge provided by these forums and this website.

:rollface:

Kole
09/05/2003, 12:36 PM
Hey, I did not go wild! :p

Kole