PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me if I have a pair of Bangaiis?

Adrian
05/19/2001, 07:53 PM
I know its extremely difficult to tell a male Bangaii from a female, but I just got a second Bangaii and the two are now swimming around together flexing their jaws. Kinda like when a gecko puts out that signal under its chin. As far as their jaws, and the roundness of the body I cant really tell the difference. Has anyone ever seen this behavior? I want to amke sure I dont have two males that are about to jump each other and the above some kinda teritorial display. Other than the jaw flexing and every now and then one will twitch at the other, they look to be a pair, or really close friends:) Thanks

seasheltie
05/19/2001, 09:42 PM
Are they old enough to be sexually mature? I bought a trio of juveniles and they are stayed together until they were sexually mature and then two paired off and did their best to kill the third. If they are old enough, look for fin damage on one and be ready to pull the damaged one out.

SCRUBBER
05/19/2001, 10:54 PM
The female is usually larger, larger eyes, and has longer "stringier" fin shape. When the jaw flexing is going on , do they touch? How close together are they? does it look stressful as if one of the fish is in defense? Do they always "hang-out"? How large are they?
If they are large or one is large there is a possiablity that the first one is defending its territory. If they ar past they adolesent stages of life and had two of the same sex in the aquarium you will know it. The one that was in the tank first will chase the new onr to the point of death.

Females that are already in the tank are defencive to any additions of cardinal fish. She is affraid that her spot is going to be taken in the tank. She will lose her "queen" position. If it were two females the new one would get pretty beat-up. Watch the behavior. The fish should not have any kind of chase, just the jaw flexing. No chase, your OK!

bcobra
05/20/2001, 01:44 AM
I would say you have a pair if they are not fighting.It took me about 30min. at the LFS to pick out a female for my male.Now two months later i am hatching baby brine for 22 baby cardinals.I used the body shape method to pick her out.I think you will be alright cause they have not beat the crap out of each other.

Robin

Adrian
05/20/2001, 03:53 AM
Well I came home tonight and they are lying next to each other next to my squamosa:) When they flex their jaws they seem to move from one end of the tank to the other, right next to each other, but not touching. They are both about 3" from the tip of the jaw to the tip of the tail, one is slightly smaller than the other. Neither one has been beat up in any way, and they seem to be very comfortable together. I didnt notice a difference in the eyes, but ones fins do look a little more elongated than the others. The one that was first in the tank is a lot more defensive now, before the introduction of the second the first sorta cowered whenever I got to close to the tank, now it flexes its jaw at me, huh? Im guessing Im safe because they are not at each others throat, but I was sorta under the impression that bangaiis were very social and just because they are not beating the crap out of each other dosnt mean they are a mated pair. I guess I'll know for sure if I have some baby bangaiis swiming around, but that could be a long wait. Thanks for the replies, Adrian

sea-horsea
05/20/2001, 04:44 AM
i too have 2 in my tank...not sure if its a pair but they never fight.....will they both be female???