PDA

View Full Version : Surge Device Advice and Comments on New Setup

theringnebula
05/19/2001, 06:15 PM
Hi, I'm in the process of planning a new reef tanks and would like some comments on a possible surge device. I recently saw a large (maybe 300+ gal) tank with a surge device on either end and it was impressive and I would like to incorporate this into my setup.
I am planning on an AGA 155 Gal Bow Tank with the 2 built in overflows. I was tinking of mounting a surge tank (like the one in Borneman's new book using the toilet flush assembly) in the center above the tank and having the output in the center branching to the left and right.

Has anyone put such a surge device on an AGA with their overflow and are there any modifications I am going to need to make to accomidate the sudden surge of water.

I was planning on making the surge tank hold approx 10 gals and probably only 7 or so will actually surge into the tank. I am not looking to make a tidal wave here just a nice surge for the stony corals I intend to keep, but not having experience with this I am not sure if this is too much or too little.

I plan on using some sort of iwaki pump on the return and branching it into 2 sea swirls and the surge tank. I also want to have gate valves on everything so I can control the flow to each of the outputs.

So there it is and I would appreciate comments about this esp if this will work with a tank with Dual AGA built-in overflows, and about the size of the tank. I would also like links to peoples sites who use such devices. It certainly seems to be a great natural way of water movement.

Other Specs on the tank so far:

AGA 155 Bow Front
40 Gal Sump (18 * 36)
Aqualine Buschke (3 * 250 Watt HQI) + (4 * 24 Watt PC) Lighting Unit
Marine Technical HSA-250 or AquaC EV150 Skimmer

Future Additions:

Aquacontroller II
Calcium Reactor
Chiller

Thanks

Wes