PDA

View Full Version : Iwaki MD-RLZ, different model, need some info...

IFLY2HIGH
05/19/2001, 04:14 PM
We were cleaning out the basement today and dad and I ran across a super nice, looks never used, Iwaki Pump. The Model Number is: MD-70RLZ. The motor is made in japan as it sates by the model number and label on the motor. It's a 115v 60 hz, 3.0 Amp pump. Now as I've seen related topics on model numbers, I see in my fish catalog that they sell them as an RLT. This on is an RLZ. I looked on Iwaki's web site but can't really find any information on this specifc pump. The label says is pushes, 11.4 GPM = 684 GPH with a MAX head of 66.6 Feet!!! I've never seen the inside of an Iwaki before and this model is impressive!! The impeller section looks like it sucks the water through the center and sends it flying out the sides. Are all of them like this? But anyway, COULD I use this pump on my new 29 gallon Reef-Ready? I've had more problems with submerisble pumps than ever with noise and vibrations, but this thing looks like a tropper. Even breaking down for a seaswirl to use on this pump.

So what do you think?

ejloomis
05/19/2001, 04:48 PM
I don't know any more about this pump than the info. you've given, but two things are noteworthy:
a. with that kind of head, it can probably take huge amounts of backpressure;
b. 115v. @3 amps is very inefficient for only 700 gph. Hopefully the amperage draw is much lower if you use this for a return pump on a low-head set up. Even so, over the long haul this thing could cost a lot more in electric consumption than other pumps now available. So you might want to think of using it only short-term.

MtnDewMan
05/19/2001, 06:33 PM
The 70RZ pump curve is at http://www.iwakiwalchem.com/pub/SpecSheets/MD5570100.pdf

It has a steep pump curve, definately pressure rated .... it appears to be meant for pumping long distances with a lot of head. Don't see why you wouldn't be able to put it on your tank, you may have to throttle the pump back with a valve. It also seems to draw a lot of current (3.8 Amps).

Oppsea
05/19/2001, 08:49 PM
THe one you have is low valum high pressure. They have other impelers for the 70 series for lower presure more volume.

IFLY2HIGH
05/20/2001, 08:13 AM
Cool, Thanks for the quick reply's. I'm still waiting for one other submersible pump to arrive this week, and I'll see if it solves my noise problem. If it does, case closed, but if not, I may look into this option.