PDA

View Full Version : Red Parrot

Robofish
09/03/2003, 04:27 PM
Anyone ever heard of a "red parrot fish"? It is a small, about 2", bright red wrasse looking critter. If anyone knows anything about them, reef compatibility....etc., I would really like to know.

technoshaman
09/05/2003, 10:18 PM
Hi robo - I have never attempted to keep a parrot and don't plan on it. A few things - they get fairly large most of them, have certain dietary needs and a feeding method thats incompatible with most reef tanks. Also they have HUUUUUGGEE ranges in the wild for the most part. I think I know the species you are referring to it has an orange head and kind of a pinkish body? I see them for sale occasionally but do not know personally anyone who keeps them.

I remember a post here a few months back in this forum from a reefer who had good success making balls of algae mixed with plaster of paris that his parrotfish ate - might want to give that a search.

Triggeraddict
09/05/2003, 11:22 PM
No, he is referring to a wrasse (it is not a parrotfish even though the common name does imply so). The scientific name is Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis. I believe they grow to 4 inches or so. They should be reef safe. Try a search under their sci name and this should give you a bit of results. Hope this helps.

EdKruzel
09/06/2003, 12:09 PM
Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis grows to about 3''s and is very docile. It cannot be placed in with pseudochromis or larger clowns or anything that will show excess aggression.

Another common misnamed fish is the Purplehead Parrot, C. cyanopleura.
It is another fairy wrasse that is also red, but develops color (purple) to it's head. The fins also turn a bright yellow with a blue/purple abdominal region.

I found one in a tank of clownfish getting the bee-geezus kicked out of it. The LFS thought it was a goner so she let me have it for $5.
It healed nicely and developed into a beautiful fish. A model citizen. I highly recommend these in any reef tank.

Ed

technoshaman
09/06/2003, 12:33 PM
This is why I wish people would use latin names for all fish in the trade instead of these silly trade names. When I hear parrotfish I think of Scarids. On what you were saying Ed I had a female C. solorensis or maybe C.cyanopleura . Wonderful fish I had for about 6 months but finally traded he in as she was too meek to live larger aggressive fish. I think they would make an excellent tank mate for Anthias. Mine got bullied by my Pseudochromis dilectus a.k.a. Orange head dottyback/Sri Lanka dottyback I am thinking due to similar coloration / body size and shape.

Robofish
09/08/2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input. You're right techno, I looked up my fish in a book and it is a type of fairy wrasse, the red fin fairy wrasse. Exactly what you said. Anyway Ive had it for about a week and it has been doing fine with my other fish, a Royal Gramma, a Small Tomato Clown, 2 tiny damsels, and a Manderin Goby in a 55. It also seems to make fun all day by zipping in out of the corals and rocks. This is a beautiful, eye catching fish and I dont see why it isnt available more often.

Mike

wla20
09/10/2003, 10:02 AM
I made the same mistake, techno, and scarids aren't exactly "reef safe" are they!!

Laura D
09/10/2003, 01:48 PM
It is such a shame they give fish such misleading common names.

I love the fairy wrasses, but if someone asked me if they should get a "Red Parrot" for their reef, my first thought would be "A parrotfish in a reef? That's crazy talk."