PDA

View Full Version : Palani Tang

skippyreef
09/03/2003, 07:04 AM
I am going to get one of these tangs and wondered if anyone has any experience keeping them. I have been doing some research on them and it seems they eat detritus ans blue greeen algea. Any insight by another reefer is always appreciated.

I am just fearful of it being lioke an achilles tang

skippyreef
09/03/2003, 07:05 AM
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Acanthurus&speciesname=dussumieri

This is a link to a pic and description

naesco
09/03/2003, 08:34 AM
Sorry skipper, no experience but this tang does reach 54cm so that is likely why it is not common in the aquarium trade.
I would think it would be much like other large acanthurus which require large tanks (600 gallons) and lots of food. Be sure you know the source country of the tang should you decide to get one..

REEForm: Never buy a tang from the Philippines or Indonesia where the use of cyanide is rampant

marrone
09/03/2003, 03:21 PM
I have one for about 4 years now and it's about 12"-14" or so. It's in a 260gal tank.

The Dussumieri tang does get very big and is somewhat aggressive, mine has never attacked any of my other tangs or angels but will hold it's only against them if needed. Nothing seems to both it and it stays right out front.

Mine eats everything from formular I & II, Romaine lettuce, and other flake food, needs alot of greens. As a matter of fact when I go by the tank, to feed him, he splashes the water just waiting for me to put the food in. He does eat quite a bit.

You can get small Dussumieri tangs, I've seen them about 4" or so, but they're noway near as colorful as the large ones.

Very nice fish but does get large.

Michael

PS: IF you get one you need to be very careful about the spines on the tail. When I was moving the fish, as I was upgrading my tanks, I was pushing him into a bucket and he slashed my finger. But even though the wound wasn't deep it still hurt for about 3 months. There must have been some poison in the spines.

marrone
09/03/2003, 03:28 PM
By the way the Dussumieri tang is from Hawaii and from what I was told it's a deep water tang. :fish1:

skippyreef
09/04/2003, 07:44 AM
Mine is hawiian also. I have a 180 and he is 4 inches. I have not gotten it yet but it is on the way. Should he get to huge I will just have to set up a larger tank latter LOL!

I am actually suprised at the number of people who responeded. Thanks.

I have Formula One and Two

I figure also by getting a smaller one I get to see it grow up.

And guys.... I NEVER get any fish that I know is from the phillipines or Indonesia! I stay away from that. I would rather shell out some more clams (LOL) than support unethical practices.

This fish cost me 100.00

marrone
09/04/2003, 10:47 AM
Up until about 2-3 years ago the Dussumieri tang was rare in the trade. It started to show and the Marine Center and FFE and was priced somewhat high. Marine Center would get some smaller sizes from time to time.

$100 for a 4" Dussumieri tang isn't that bad, what you will see is the fish doesn't have all the colors of the adult in the picture. The body will be somewhat washed out and look very light until the fish gets older and larger. The marking around the head will also be lighter until the it get larger.

Feed it alot of greens and it will do very well. I've never had a problem with it until recently as my Sohal tang, 16", is causing problems with it, but the Sohal seems to be causing problems with all my fish.
Michael

tang_man_montreal
09/04/2003, 10:50 AM
The picture in my avatar is one of a Dussumieri tang in the wild.

Should also note that JL Aquatics had some for sale a couple of months ago... Inquire with them if you are looking for any.

naesco
09/04/2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by skippyreef
Mine is hawiian also. I have a 180 and he is 4 inches. I have not gotten it yet but it is on the way. Should he get to huge I will just have to set up a larger tank latter LOL!

I am actually suprised at the number of people who responeded. Thanks.

I have Formula One and Two

I figure also by getting a smaller one I get to see it grow up.

And guys.... I NEVER get any fish that I know is from the phillipines or Indonesia! I stay away from that. I would rather shell out some more clams (LOL) than support unethical practices.

This fish cost me 100.00

:thumbsup:

skippyreef
09/06/2003, 08:02 AM
He came and is actually close to 6 inches. He is a nice color but a little washed out like the post said. I am going to get some stuff today ay the trop that they feed the tangs there. He is shy right now which is so hard to believe because he is huge next to teh other fish. He is eating though and let the four musketeers clean him (cleaner shrimp).

The purple tang and my Naso have not been aggressive at all and neither has he.