PDA

View Full Version : Majestic Angel in Reef?????

crimson_trance
09/02/2003, 09:44 PM
I currently have a 50 gallon reef aquarium, and was wondering if I should introduce a majestic angel that I have been quarantining for the past five days. In the reef tank I have a pair of gold banded maroon clownfish, a royal gramma, and cleaner and peppermint shrimps. The corals consist of sps, leather, ricordea, zoanthids, frogspawn, and clams. Should i introduce the angel into the reef tank, or return it to the fish store. The angel has adult coloration, but it is small about 2 inches. My female clownfish is larger than it! What should I do? Anyone have a setup like this with a majestic angel, please I need help fast. The Angel is in very good condition.

Triggeraddict
09/02/2003, 09:49 PM
I would return it. A 50 gallon is a bit small for them and they are not reef safe. They will pick on many types of corals and do best with a diet that contains sponges. Just my opinion. Anyway, hope this helps.

EdKruzel
09/02/2003, 11:23 PM
The Majestic or Navarchus angel is not a big sponge eater. Meaty foods and macroalgae are the primary nutrients to this species.

Even though it is a bit smaller than most of the large angels I have to agree with Triggeraddict that a 50 is much too small.
These angels like to stretch their fins and swim from time to time.
IMO a 120 is the minimum for this species.

Take care,
Ed

Leopardshark
09/02/2003, 11:45 PM
IMO he is too big for your tank, they need at least a 120 when that size and a 300 min when they get bigger.
Not a good choice for a tank that small
Marco