PDA

View Full Version : Which design is better?

guitarfish
09/02/2003, 08:53 PM
I'm unclear on which side of my sump the pump should go. Which design below is preferable?

http://www.eazall.com/dave/design.jpg

DAVER
09/02/2003, 09:00 PM
chances are your return pump has a greater gph than your overflow, so the least amount of "bends" in your drain pipe the better. the first diagram is the way you should go, a straight shot to the sump=more gph=better overall flow in the tank

guitarfish
09/03/2003, 07:16 AM
That makes sense Daver. The return pump will be throttled back a little with a ball valve anyway, so let the overflow drain as freely as possible. Thanks.

RonE
09/03/2003, 08:59 AM
use a control valve on both return and in flow tubes...also consider putting in a run off valve so that you can easily access water for quick water changes

guitarfish
09/03/2003, 09:28 AM
I plan on a ball valve on each tube, but what do you mean by a run off? How would that help with water changes?

RonE
09/03/2003, 09:50 AM
from the over flow...before it hits the sump...consider adding a valve for draining water quickly into a bucket so that its easier to do water changes...kinda like a spicket running down off of the overflow i.Its just my opinion....its easier to get water out instead of siphoning out of the main tank or the sump...What you would do is that when its time to do water changes just tap the "spicket / ball valve release" and fill your bucket for your water changes....

guitarfish
09/03/2003, 09:54 AM
I was thinking about how this would work. The tank will only overflow what the pump pushes in. If I use a T on the overflow for a drain, and turn on the pump, it will quickly pump the sump dry since no water is coming back into the sump. So, I can only drain the amount of water that I have in the sump, right?

jersey
09/03/2003, 10:02 AM
That is correct. To over come that problem I pull my durso standpipes from the bulkheads to drain both overflows into the sump. Gives me an extra 6 or 7 gallons to play with.

EDIT, I'm assuming your tank has a built in overflow.

guitarfish
09/03/2003, 10:34 AM
Yup, I have the overflows, and the Durso. Thanks for the tips !