PDA

View Full Version : Help overflows and drilling

adw
09/01/2003, 06:09 PM
I am buying an acrylic tank that I would like to add an overflow to. Is there anyplace in boston or the boston area that could add it for me? If there is about how much would it cost? Also the tank is a 75 would it be better to have one or two overflows? Thank you in advance for any imput.
Alex

dragon_slayer
09/01/2003, 07:00 PM
with it being acrylic personaly i'd drill them myself.

in a 75 i'd go with 2 @ 1" w/ 3/4" returns and might even add a closed loop as well.

kc

adw
09/01/2003, 07:10 PM
Kind of afraid to do it myself plus I don't have the equipment. If I was going to do it where would I buy the overflow and are there any you would recomend? Do you know of any pet store in the area that would do it for me?

David S
09/01/2003, 07:18 PM
If you are good at doing stuff I would order the overflow boxes and bulkheads and drill it yourself acrylic is easy. If not I know coral reef drills tanks try some of our sponsors

did I forget to say WELCOME to the board :D

http://www.bostonreefers.org/sponsors/

dragon_slayer
09/01/2003, 08:06 PM
with acrylic all you need is a new "sharp" forstner bit the size required for the bulkhead's.

bulkheads can be ordered at many online places like marine depot or dr forster and smith. many lfs carry them if they deal in reefs as well.

cant comment on a local for you, as i dont live in boston.

kc

MickyB
09/01/2003, 08:54 PM
also have an 150 gallon Acrylic tank that is 96" long and has 6 predrilled holes (2) 3/4" returns and (4) 1 1/4" overflows. This tank was installed at Petco in Nashua and was the Feeder Tank. Does this tank have two many overflows? The sump is also a 96" long petco tank that is 80 gallons with a divider in the middle. Could also make it into multiple tanks.

adw
09/01/2003, 10:31 PM
Are there any specific overflows or bulkheads that I should look at and what about placement? This will be my first tank with an over flow so I'm a bit of a newbie. Thanks again for any info.

David S
09/01/2003, 10:44 PM
never having a drilled tank I would have someone do it for you it is not that hard but never seeing one work it would be safer. call some of the shops in the link I posted to our sponsors jeremy at coral reef is a good guy and does drill tanks when he has the time

adw
09/01/2003, 10:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Dave I will look into that.

Aneille
09/01/2003, 10:55 PM
I had my glass tank drilled at Tropic Isle. Also All Things Fishy in Marlborough drills glass tanks. They may install overflow kits as well. Since your tank is acrylic I would probably drill it myself though. I'd purchase the bulkheads first though, to make sure you cut the right size holes.

You can also build your own standpipe, check out this website where you will find detailed instructions or you could purchase one from this site as well. http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe_frame.htm

You can get bulkhead fittings at the LFS or online vendors. I got mine at Tropic Isle where I had my tank drilled. My husband built a Durso Standpipe and also cut a piece of acrylic for the overflow.

There is a plactics place in South Boston on Broadway that sells acrylic and could probably make something up to your specs too but I'm not sure, I was only picking up some glue. I don't remember the name of the place and it is late for me to go searching. If your interested in the name PM me and I'll get it for you tomorrow.

~Kim