PDA

View Full Version : Horned Boxfish

clsund
09/01/2003, 04:22 PM
Anyone have info on this fish? I've seen a bunch at the LFS and they are really cute. I read somewhere that they are poisonious though. Any advice? How big do they get? What size tank do they need? what do they eat? Thanks for any replies.

Triggeraddict
09/01/2003, 05:12 PM
I am guessing you are referring to the Longhorn Cowfish (Lactoria cornuta). They grow to 18 inches and will need a minimum tank size of 180 gallons when adult. They are toxic and will release their toxin if they are sick or dying. They eat anything and everything since they are in the same family as triggers and puffers. They are not reef safe and will snack on shrimps, crabs (and I don't remember if they will snack on corals or not but my guess would be yes). Anyway, hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide.

clsund
09/02/2003, 01:31 PM
Yes, I guess that's the real name. the Horned boxfish was what the LFS called it (not surprising). They also said it was easy to keep and was reef safe. Good thing I asked first before getting it. They are really cute when they're small and I was hoping they would stay small. Oh well.

clsund
09/02/2003, 01:31 PM
Oh, and thanks for the info Trigger.

TrippingBilly
09/03/2003, 09:06 PM
Ditto on what on what Triggeraddict said. They are real cool fish though, great personalities. I was thinking about getting the smallest species of boxfish (they max out at 4 inches I believe) and just giving him a tank of his own. Unfortunately, I don't have an endless supply of space to set up tanks (though I wish I did).

laverda
09/05/2003, 10:44 AM
Hi
I have a Yellow Box fish which is related. After buying it I learned they are not reef safe! I am glad I did not know this before, because he is one of my favorites. It has never bothered anything in my tank, and in my opinion is very reef safe. Maybe others examples are different.
Steve