PDA

View Full Version : Personallity Changes in a Watchman Goby

AcroSteve
09/01/2003, 02:55 PM
Posted this in the main reef forum, but I did not get much info.

Well, I had a watchman goby in my tank for about 1-1/2 months.

During this time, it was on the sand 99% of the time and rather shy. It would come out to eat and would do so rather aggressively, but if you made movements in the room, it would dart and hide.

I then moved it along with all the other fish to my QT setup for about 5 weeks. During this time he got very sick looking with what I think was a reaction to cumpramine treatment. It also did not eat very well, and appeared to be losing weight.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showt...threadid=222301

About 5 days ago, all fish were returned to the main tank. The gobie immediately started eating pods - which I had never seen it do. It was also spending a lot of time crusing the live rock structure - which I liked a lot. It was not as shy about movement in the room either.

Here's the problem.

Yesterday I could not locate it and found that it was in my main overflow box. This box is very cramped and I had a hard time removing it. This box drains the 1000 gph from the tank and sends it to my chiller chamber and then to the sump. Needless to sy, I do not want it to go down the drain. I can envision it getting stuck in the chiller and not finding the way out.

Anyway, after I got it out, it was still very active and exlopring around the overflows. Today it is back in the main overflow.

AcroSteve
09/01/2003, 02:56 PM
Well, I modified the overflow so I think it cannot get back in.

For most of the day todya, it has been swimming up and down one front corner of the tank.

Strange.

EdKruzel
09/02/2003, 12:17 PM
Not strange at all. Your fish was starving to death and is still not back to full health.
The majority of medications out there do more harm than good.
Most often the medication is not properly administered or there are misdiagnoses.

Other meds such as copper and like additives are a complete rip off and should be shelved next to cyanide.

Many marine fish (especially tangs) have a symbiotic microbe living in their digestion tract.
Many of the meds offered to the hobby will kill the microbes. Without these tiny symbioses the foods are not properly digested and therefore no matter how much they eat the host cannot receive the proper nutrition.

Good Luck,
Ed