PDA

View Full Version : Crabs and compatibility

Rob Schwartz
09/01/2003, 01:55 PM
Hi folks,

Other than a variety of snails and one Sally Lightfoot crab I have no more crabs in the system.

I am thinking of re-stocking with 20 or so. Can you tell me what risks I run? Will Sally eat small hermits? Will they go after my snails? I also have a Flame Hawkfish, I know that I should not have any shrimps in the tank (gobble, gobble), but would he eat hermit crabs?

Thanks,

Rob

Bravodelta
09/01/2003, 11:57 PM
Add an Emerald crab or two. They are great to look at and they will make sure you never have any Valonia. Just curious, why no shrimp? I have 8 Sally's and 5 Emeralds in my 180 along with 8 Peppermint shrimp and there are no problems. All shrimp present and accounted for. Also, the peppermints spawn regularly and feed that little extra something into the tank.

Bulldog

Aquabucket
09/02/2003, 12:55 AM
I am one to speak out against any crabs besides small hermits in a closed system with smaller fish.

Most crabs in nature will eat fish. Many will do there dirty work at night while the fish are asleep. I never had any of the so called reef safe crabs but I for one am not taking any chances.

I might consider an arrow crab that eats bristle worms but thats it.

Rob Schwartz
09/02/2003, 01:10 AM
Thanks guys,

Bulldog, the reason for no shrimp is because of the flame hawkfish apparently they very much enjoy eating shrimp!

I think that I will get some small hermits though, I was just worried about the other reef custodians munching them

ozadars
09/02/2003, 01:22 AM
A hawk can also eat crabs
There are sure lots of reef-safe crabs, expecially the ones which has symbiotic relationship w/ anemones, urchins, buble corals... (ex: anemone crab, porcelein crab...)
There are also more reef-safe crabs like pom-pom crabs

Aquabucket
09/02/2003, 01:43 AM
I don't have any anenomes but would like to know how big the anemone crab, porcelein crab and pom-pom crabs can get. I saw a porcelein crab at my LFS and thought it was attractive.

I like to keep smaller species of fish and it gives me peace of mind knowing there are no crabs in my tanks.

ozadars
09/02/2003, 02:04 AM
Porcelein crabs get 1-1,5" they dont need an anemone to live, they can live in corals, mushrooms or in the LR. Pom pom crab is small too, but it has 2 very little anemone on its claws so dot thnik a hawk can consume him w/ his anemones

Rob Schwartz
09/02/2003, 01:05 PM
Thanks Ozadars,

I have never even heard of those crabs before. I wonder if they are available on the west coast.

Mostly, I just want to add to my Clean up crew. I know that some predation is normal, but I also don't want to buy 30 small crabs just to have them eaten inside of a few weeks!

Rob