PDA

View Full Version : What to Dose?

GOOD (G)REEF
05/17/2001, 09:44 PM
I am starting up my 30 gallon this week end, and I was wondering what I should dose. I do have kalkwasser, but I do not feel as though it gives the tank enough calcium, nor does it help with other trace elements. So I was thinking I could use one of the reef supplementation systems like B-onic or coral vital. I know almost nothing about these additives, but I have heard good gthings about both, especially coral vital. Can anyone help me out? I would very much appreciate any advice!

reefworm
05/17/2001, 10:06 PM
G[G]R,
Do a search on Coral Vital [if you're referring to the Marc Weiss products] and you'll get plenty of opinions to offset the one you just posted:D From what anyone's been able to tell, it's essentially apple juice. Very expensive apple juice. If it's the Kent product, that's good stuff.

As to additives, you've opened a can of worms;) Lots of divergent opinions out there. I personally think that there are a number of valid approaches to keeping things in balance. Dripping kalk is certainly one, adding with supplements like B-ionic or others is another. [Unlike the Weiss stuff, I think you'll find the good reports on B-ionic are justified for the most part]. And there are variations on and combinations of those procedures. In my system, I drip kalk full strength for my top-off, and add about 12ml of white vinegar to 1000ml of kalk mix for the additional carbon atoms. More carbon atoms with which the calcium can bond to make calicum carbonate. I find that helps since my tank is small [29] and I don't evaporate enough to get a lot of kalk introduced. But I do use Ca++ and buffer additives from time to time if I notice the #'s starting to slip.

regards,
rw

GOOD (G)REEF
05/18/2001, 02:22 PM
Mine is small too--30 gallons, so maybve I will try the vinegar thing too. Good ide4a :) B-onic might be an easier route though. I think I may try and ask my LFS if no one else here can offer any more info. Thanks for the helP!

Tadashi
05/18/2001, 02:25 PM
I dose b-ionic every day and iodine when I remember. I am too lazy to make kalkwasser. Soon the calc reactor will be online and I can stop even that. :)

reefworm
05/18/2001, 02:26 PM
G[G]R,
Here's a link to Aquarium Frontiers' article index. Click on it and you'll find Dr. Craig Bingman's byline, "Biochemistry of Aquaria." Click on that to go to his articles. You'll find all of them informative, and many of them immediately helpful. The vinegar idea was his and can be found in the articles about extending the benefits of limewater. Have fun this weekend:D

http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_frontiers/index.html

GOOD (G)REEF
05/18/2001, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the help! I will look up the link. I have a Kent kalkwasser thing so I will use that up, then I will get a new system if that's what I decide to do. Ideally, I suppose a calc reactor is best, but I have no room in my stand:( Heh. ANyway, thanks alot!

dnjan
05/18/2001, 04:58 PM
Might take you a long time to use up kalkwasser (if it is the dry powder). One pound of dry kalk makes over 200 gallons of saturated calcium hydroxide solution!

GOOD (G)REEF
05/18/2001, 04:59 PM
Yeah I guess it will give me some time to think ;)