PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Blenny ID

reefart
08/29/2003, 07:41 AM
Dear reefers,I hope that somebody wiil help me!
I tried to do some research on the net but without
result, to find the latin name of this Blenny!

TIA to everybody!

Mirko

joetbs
08/29/2003, 10:39 AM
Blenniella chrysospilos

Proxymoron
08/29/2003, 11:27 AM
That's what I was thinking too. Scott W Michael's book Marine Fishes (pg 330) has one that looks similar to yours, but the colors are much brighter/red on yours.

aka Redspotted Blenny or Redspotted Rockskipper.

Nice looking fish!

Dixie

reefart
08/29/2003, 04:38 PM
Thanx guys, but I'm still not covinced!
Istiblennius chrysospilos- page 330 Scott Michaels book
look like but.......
Maybe my Blenny is juvenile and will change colors ?

In any case thanx again!

Mirko

joetbs
08/29/2003, 11:08 PM
The back half does look odd. I was hesitant in replying, but i think it's just one fish that's different. The colors are quite consistent with the ones I've seen in person. I've also seen it sold as a Christmas Blenny.

Handyman
08/30/2003, 06:52 AM
nice rockskipper blennie...does he dig holes or dump sand on your rocks?

reefart
08/30/2003, 09:22 AM
Maybe I'm lucky!
Handyman, no problems with holes in sand!

Thanx Joetbs, but maybe we must wait some expert to reply
to my question!

Maybe someone know the Scott Michael email?

technoshaman
08/30/2003, 05:21 PM
It's in the Istiblennius genus - I had one a while back that ended up jumping :( . There are a few that are sold as 'Redspotted Blenny' or 'Red Rockskipper' which are all in the same group. Cool fish - I may tray again sometime if I set up a closed tank.

They feed on a variety of macro and micro algaes and diatoms in the wild. Mine would eat some small pieces of mysis too - they are really neat looking almost eel-like - I actually asked Mr. Michael about this fish a few months back and he regarded it as a moderately delicate species over the long term maybe due to dietary deficiencies.

If you search back in the forum you will see a thread I had with a cool pic of mine before he went carpet surfing.