PDA

View Full Version : Catching an aggressive Sohol Tang

MarineView
05/17/2001, 03:48 AM
I recently bought a beautiful Sohol Tang from the lfs. At first he seemed fine, but of course very hungry. Next day he began his aggression and herded everyone into the reef...hoping to keep all the food to himself. He eats 4 clips of seaweed sandwiches per day, and began eating up all the sponges, some of the starburst, and nipping at other soft corals. He completely devoured the caulerpa in tank. He also devoured my beautiful clown shrimp...knocks down snails to get to them. This fish has an eating disorder. He is now very fat and I wonder just how he can swim so well. LOL
So I decided to return him to the lfs. We tried everything short of pulling down the reef to catch him. Very smart fish. To show me how angry he was that I was trying to take him from "his" reef (120 gallons) he began knocking down corals and rocks from the reef...he watched me carefully as I replaced them. When I took out the container with seaweed to trap him with, he then began to relax and once again came up to my hand... wished that I could have grabbed him then. Shy of that amazing dorsal fin I must confess. ;-)

After this winded explanation I would like to ask you if there is any type of sedative that one can add to the seaweed so as to make it possible to catch this fish without having to prepare a big tub of salt water and tear down the reef piece by piece?

As beautiful as he is, he is totally ruining life for all the rest in tank. Any good ideas?

rshimek
05/17/2001, 05:01 AM
Hi,

I wish I could help. And I truly feel your pain! Choosing the appropriate fish for a tank was a lesson I had to be re-taught several times in my first reef tanks... ;) ... much to my chagrin. :(

I can't think of any sedative or such that you could add safely to the tank.

My only suggestion, based having to catch a crafty sailfin tang some 8 years ago, is to prepare your net and attempt to catch it just as the lights come on and the animal comes out of its overnight hiding spot. For a few seconds - about 30 or so - the fish are often somewhat disoriented and you may get lucky.

Another option is to get a very small barbless fish hook and go fishing. Hook the fish in the mouth. Fish have very rugged mouths and this method, if done carefully, will not permanently damage the fish.

This often works very well.

Otherwise, it may well be time to remove a lot of rocks.

Good luck!

Pinkskunk
05/17/2001, 06:13 AM
I am not Dr. Ron but i do have experiences removing most or ALL of the fishes i wish to.

You mentioned he loved to eat, this is a very good thing.

Here is how i do it....

Just before i go to sleep at night and ready to turn off the tank lights, i go around the house and turn off all the lights, feed the tank with flakes. My fish go wild when i feed, while they are enjoying themself with the food, i turn off the tank lights - all lights are off at once. ALL the fishes get disoriented from super bright to complete darkness - the same thing happen to us human. Now, i go in there with a small flashlight and a small net, look for the VICTIM and scoop him out very quickly-just like that and it worked everytime.

You should do it as quickly as you turn off the lights, if you take too long they will regain their orientation and go hiding, then you have to wait till tomorrow's night.

This method works everytime for me.

Good luck.

Agu
05/17/2001, 09:00 AM
I am not Dr Ron either, but I've also had great success with the technique Pinkskunk recommends. A couple of hints. If you can have an assistant turn off the lights, it's easier because you'll have more time. A flashlight with a red lens isn't as visible to the fish, and turn it on prior to lights out, you don't want to be fumbling with a flashlight when it's time to be catching fish. Finally, if the tang has moved look below where it was prior to lights out. They won't swim away but they will sink to the bottom.

Agu

MarineView
05/17/2001, 05:43 PM
Thank you Dr. Ron, Pinkskunk, and Agu for your most helpful answers. I will try ... let you know if I get this bugger. :-)

reefgal
05/17/2001, 06:38 PM
MarineView,

I've had great success with the clear plastic fish traps. They have a door that is attached to a long piece of fishing line. You bait the trap, stand back a few feet, wait for the fish to go in, then just drop the door. No problem! (They are not cheap to purchase, however.)

rshimek
05/17/2001, 07:37 PM
Hi Folks,

I appreciate all you voices of experience helping out here. Many thanks!

:D

MarineView
05/17/2001, 08:55 PM
reefgal ... this is what I used, but this fish is "way" to clever for that....after 3 days he still would not go into it. He must have had past experience. ;-)