PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock Setup

marsarri
08/28/2003, 09:57 AM
I'm looking for some advice. I just got done testing the plumbing on my new tank with freshwater and am ready to put the LR, sand and saltwater in. I tore down a 135g SW tank and have about 225# of LR from that tank. The new tank is a 75g that I have installed in the wall with a mud filter and a closed loop circ. system with a SCWD. Anyway, how much of the LR do you think I should put in the tank? I don't want to make the tank seem overcrowded with rock, but I know the more rock you have, the better it is for system. I am planning on having mostly corals with some fish. Do I need to leave room in the tank for the corals at some point, or just take rock out as needed for larger corals or inverts? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Nanook
08/28/2003, 10:03 AM
[welcome]

I would put it in until you like the way it looks. Make sure to leave space for coral growth, an often missed consideration. Try to make an open structure that will allow you to place corals and leave holes for fish to swim in and around. Have fun!!! You could start a second tank with the leftover rock, or donate it to a reefer in need.

Nanook:)

marsarri
08/28/2003, 12:52 PM
I've seen some tanks that have minimal rock with lots of space and swimming area that look great, and that's the way I am leaning. BUT I hate not to use the investment of $$ I have in LR not to mention the additional bio filtration. Oh yeah, the wife just LOVED the idea of a second tank, maybe a predator tank! NOT! If I put up a second tank, it better have a place for me to rest my head, 'cause I know where I won't be sleeping. Oh well, like you said, just have fun with it. I think I can do that.