PDA

View Full Version : wrasse behaviour

Cnatto
08/27/2003, 03:35 PM
I've got a Scott's velvet wrasse in a quarantine tank for about 3 hours. I just got him in from an online store. Right now he's pretty much laying on the bottom right side up but is not swimming much. Is this normal for a wrasse or is it not doing real well?

Dave

tooshay
08/27/2003, 03:42 PM
I got the same fish a couple of weeks ago, but from my LFS. I didn't Q him, but when I put him in the main tank, he immediately shot into the rockwork. He stayed there for 3 days, now he is the most active guy in the tank.

Cnatto
08/27/2003, 03:54 PM
Did you ever get a glimpse of him in the rock. Right now mine is curled up sideways in a piece of PVC. His color looks OK and he is breathing OK so I hope he will make it.

Dave

tooshay
08/27/2003, 03:59 PM
I could only make out his profile unless I used a flashlight. He did the strangest thing after the lights were out. I read later that it is normal behavior for some wrasses, but it freaked me out. He completely entombed himself with mucus!!!! His entire body looked like a slimeball, and I was sure he was decomposing. He didn't hardly move for the first 3 days, so I think your guy will be O.K.

Cnatto
08/28/2003, 07:46 PM
Okay, now I am really worried about this fish. It seems like he cannot stay right side up and he's staying on the bottom. He looks fine with his eyes moving around watching me. When I move the airstone his direction, he moves his fins and gets away from it but will not leave the bottom of the tank. Could this be some kind of swim bladder problem? I'm starting to think maybe I should euthanize this fish. I hate to think that it might be suffering but I just can't tell.

Dave

tooshay
08/28/2003, 07:58 PM
Uh Oh... things don't sound too good. Mine has acted strangely, but he never did the upside down thing! Have you treated him with any broad spectrum antibiotics? At this point, anything would be worth a try. As of this afternoon, mine is in the hospital tank with ick and a bacterial or fungal infection. Maybe these aren't so hardy? Good luck, and keep us posted.

Sallylightfoot
08/28/2003, 08:03 PM
I just got a Velvet Wrasse and he is higing also. Been a day, so its good to hear they will eventually come out. I am sorry to hear yours is not doing well though. I will keep ya posted as to how mine does.

tooshay
09/02/2003, 07:45 AM
Just wondereing if your wrasse made it? Mine is still in the hospital tank, on his 4th day of antibiotics.

EdKruzel
09/02/2003, 11:46 AM
Cnatto,
You're killing your fish. Take him out of the hospital tank and place it in the main tank if you wish to keep it.

The fish was exhibiting normal behavior for the species. Your "Q" tank sounds as if it was empty (bare bottom) with no decor besides a piece of PVC.

This fish was just snatched from it's natural environment and placed in an alien world, shipped to you and placed in another alien world. It is very stressed and needs some type of familiarality in order to calm somewhat.

Live Rock & Sand are a start. Any antibiotics (should only be used when you can positively identify a specific problem) will kill any bacteria that may have been reducing waste.
Ontop of all the stess you have created for this new guest, adding medication will only cause further stress.

I hope it's not too late.
Good Luck,
Ed

Sallylightfoot
09/02/2003, 12:16 PM
I am excited to say, mine is one of the crowd now. No more hiding for him!! :)