PDA

View Full Version : phosphate in skimmate

Habib
08/27/2003, 07:33 AM
I did not want to add this, what we IIRC thought to be lost, to one of the more appropriate mega threads. :)

Here is as an attachment of the table with results of organic and inorganic phosphate in aquarium and skimmate as obtained and published by Craig Bingman. In that article Craig mentiones that he was surprised to find that the phsophate in the skimmate was in some cases enriched by almost 100 times relative to the aquarium water.

It seems to be in one of the AF issues (hardcopy version).

To avoid copyright issues I am only giving the table despite that the article is IMO worth reading.

The article is also on the net but requires a special XIF file viewer and it took me some effort to have it working.

rmendis
08/27/2003, 08:11 AM
Thanks for sharing, Habib.

simonh
08/27/2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Habib
It seems to be in one of the AF issues (hardcopy version).

Volume 3, No 1.

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/27/2003, 02:58 PM
Thanks, Habib!

Habib
08/27/2003, 04:09 PM
You're welcome. :)

Bomber
08/29/2003, 04:39 PM
Habib

Craig didn't speculate on the source of phosphate and skimmers are real good at taking out phyto.

Ya think?

Jerel

Habib
09/02/2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Bomber
Habib

Craig didn't speculate on the source of phosphate and skimmers are real good at taking out phyto.

Ya think?

Jerel

Hmmm, I think he speculated somewhat because he started the phosphate part with the possibility of calcium phosphate precipitation and the observance of floating particles rich in phosphate.

He probably speculated that these were calcium phsophate precipitates and beacuse they were floating on the air-water surface he thought that they might very effectively be removed by skimming.

This was IMO the reason why he tested skimmate.

So that is IMO the speculative part.

IMO phyto (which are removed even by not so good skimmers) would not contribute to the inorganic phosphate found in the skimmate.

It sure will contribute to the total phosphate value. Wether that is significant I don't know.

BTW DSB might be a good sink for (dead) phytoplankton.

I have found some , what seem to be at a first glance, nice data on real world measurements in sediments around a reef. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/02/2003, 07:48 AM
I have found some , what seem to be at a first glance, nice data on real world measurements in sediments around a reef.

And you are going to write an article where they are compared to measurements on reef aquarium sediments, right?

Habib
09/02/2003, 08:00 AM
measurements on reef aquarium sediments,

:eek1:

I don't recall I have them but OTOH I was also forgotten that I did some experiments with elevated boron and some bacterial processes which I had forgotten. I remembered them just a few days ago. :(

And you are going to write an article where they are compared to measurements on reef aquarium sediments, right?

If this is a way to say how on earth are you going to compare real reefs with aquariums ( :) :) ) then I have to say that the results and views are interesting and worth thinking about.

I want to see if i can dig up a view more preferably with different results/views before I post them. :)