PDA

View Full Version : MAG 9.5 or new QuietOne 4000 ???

AZDesertRat
08/26/2003, 11:52 PM
I am in the market for a return pump and have narrowed it down to these two. The QuietOne is supposedly new and improved but the MAG seems to be more popular. The QuietOne claims something like 40 watts power consumption vs. the MAGs 93 watts? Both pump about the same flow and head. Help me make up my mind.

Entropy
08/27/2003, 12:46 AM
I have the Mag 9.5. It is fairly quite (if used submerged) and it is very reliable so far, but it does add about 1-2 degrees of heat to my 90g tank and if you dont set it up just right it likes to vibrate.

How much is the price difference? For 53 watts of let power usage I would think the quiet one is worth a try.

rleechb
08/27/2003, 02:18 AM
heard bad things about the new "quiet" ones. They are supposed to be pretty loud. I'd go with the mag. The new viaaqua pumps are actually supposed to be pretty good, btw.

AZDesertRat
08/27/2003, 08:19 AM
The MAG and Quiet One are the same price at most online places, some as low $59.

fade2black
08/27/2003, 09:53 AM
I run a MAG9.5 as a return now and can't hear it at all. I run it submerged and haven't had a problem. In fact, I have always used MAG pumps as returns and never had one fail.

Fade

pr4mncplus
08/27/2003, 05:07 PM
It seems, from looking at some of the tank systems, that the Mag 9.5 is pretty popular. I am in the process of a new tank setup (just now running the wet test) and I'm finding that the Mag 7 for a 72g reef ready bowfront tank may not be cutting it. It's quite a quiet pump but I don't think it's going to turn over the volume of water that I need for this size tank, along with the 20g sump.

DaveBFishing
08/27/2003, 05:13 PM
A quick thought on this subject: Mag pumps have been around for a long time and have proven themselves to be a reliable pump. New Quiet one is brand new to the market and untested in comparison. Who knows what the expected life of these new pumps are because the oldest one out there can't be more than four months old. I would recomend staying with the Mag pumps until we have more reliable feed-back on the expected life of the new quiet ones. I have alot of confidence in Rainbow Lifegaurds filters so I am hoping their quality workmanship shows in their new line of pumps but I'm not willing to gamble on it. I would play it safe and stay with the Mag.

AZDesertRat
08/27/2003, 06:49 PM
Looks like the MAG 9.5 is what I will go with for a return pump. I am also installing a closed loop going into a SCWD and through two holes and bulkheads near the top back corners of the tank. Being conservative on the 9.5, I figure my return flow will be around 700+/- GPH. Should I go with the MAG 5 or MAG 7 for the closed loop? By the time you add some elbows and the SCWD it will probably reduce the flow significantly so I am leaning towards the 7. Along with that where would you drill the hole for the suction side of the closed loop? I am planning on a LeeMar 80R tank with a center overflow. Should it also be high up on the back but maybe opposite where the sump return will be if I bring it back up thru the overflow box and out one side with the flexible ball and socket type tube(I don't know what youcall that stuff)?