PDA

View Full Version : reef plan

jgent
08/26/2003, 10:46 PM
I needed some input on my future reef . I have inherited an empty 70 g. glass tank. I am new to the hobby and have learned that the next thing I should do is decide what species I want to keep. This is my preliminary list:

mated pair of percula clowns
flasher wrasse (paracheilinus filamentous) - possibly 3 (1 male, 2 female)
hippo tang ( need advice on this species in 70 g. tank)

zoanthid species
colt coral
leather coral

I have done more research than is exhibited here (feeding, lighting, etc.) but just wanted some feedback before I move on.

Has anyone tried to keep a harem of wrasses, if so what species?

If the hippo tang is not a good choice, what are some other options with the clowns and the wrasse(s)?

reefer91
08/27/2003, 06:55 PM
hi,
If your going to keep a hippo your water quality better be good because they can unforgiving sometimes

reefer91
08/28/2003, 03:40 PM
Me again, sorry I didn't read the bottom of your post.
Another good clown species is the maroon clown.
One problem is that they tend to be a little on the agressive side so add them last to the tank.

jgent
08/28/2003, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the response. I think I have decided against the hippo tang. I think I will do some more research on a kole tang. They are slightly smaller from what I've heard. I also believe you are supposed to add them last. I would probably not add one until a year or so of establishment. The only downside to them is the fact that they have health problems associated with capture that affects their feeding and eventually kills them. Any thoughts on a Kole?

reefer91
08/29/2003, 04:40 PM
Jgent you're right about what you said in your last post. Most do survive though so it should be ok ; besides they eat a lot of algae!