PDA

View Full Version : Which fish do I add in next?

Sting
08/26/2003, 07:28 PM
ok- my specs are in my sig- 37G reef in progress- I am going to buy a new fish this weekend- the only current inhabitants are 2 Ocellaris Clown fish.

My complete stocking list will eventually look like this:

Ocellaris Pair (1&2)
Coral Beauty (5)
Clown Goby (4)
Sixline Wrasse (3)
Royal Gramma (6)

And for now I think I've decided to leave out the Firefish- I added the Clown Goby as a replacement since they are so tiny anyway.

Now- the big question- which fish next?

I've been recommended to add the Royal Gramma last, and the Coral Beauty just before that- so next to the fish are the numbers in order of what I want to get. That would mean I'd be adding my Sixline next. Is this a proper move- or am I making a mistake? What's your take on it?

Jerry W
08/26/2003, 10:05 PM
I'd suggest adding the angel last. Has the tank been up and running for awhile now? The tank will be none too large for that load, and I'm thinking the coral beauty might not be the best choice. With regards to your next addition, I'd do the royal gramma. My experience with six lines is that they can get ****y with small fish added after them, particularly in smaller tanks. They can be relentless in pursuing/pestering other fish. Mine has done this to three other fish in my 120, and even killed a larger flasher wrasse by attacking it every time it came out of hiding. The gramma will posture a bit but likely will not chase other fish far from it's little territory.

hcs3
08/26/2003, 10:11 PM
clown goby 1
grammas 2 or 3
clownfish 2/3
sixline 4 or 5
angel 4/5

IMO that is a heavy load in a 37. maybe scratch the angel or wrasse and everything would look good.

HTH

Sting
08/27/2003, 03:09 PM
Well, if I scratch anything I'd prefer to scrath the Clown, but maybe not so much.

Can I replace the Coral Beauty with a Cherub Anglefish? I am definitely keeping an angel either way, and I really like the Gramma, but I just recently added the Sixline when I saw one in the LFS and fell in love with them. Should I just leave the wrasse out then?

Seems like they can be subject to harassing anway.

BTW hcs3, if you didn't catch it- I already have the ocellaris clowns ;)

But really- who makes the shots on what's "too much?" I've never understood that. I just want to understand so I can know for future references. I know people say stuff like 5" per gallon, but who came up with that anyway? Is it just another myth? That's definitely one bad thing about this hobby- myths!!!

SurferDude771
08/27/2003, 08:04 PM
imo the fish you have listed are fine for a 37