PDA

View Full Version : For all you enviro-nuts

Q-ball
05/16/2001, 09:23 AM
Hehe, couldn't resist...A friend sent me a link for a new car on the market, and a new one being release shortly that looks pretty interesting. They've got a nice website up, so I figured I'd share:
http://www.corbinmotors.com/merlin.htm
Looks kinda cute, and it sounds like it's actually got some power to it...

Q!!!

hartman
05/16/2001, 09:54 AM
That thing is sweet, reason it has power is the body is all plastic I would guess. Would be great in England but over here it could double as a coffin :)

Just think you could hide under a Ford Excursion and hook on to the suspension and get gas mileage :) plus use him as body armor.

Hartman

Deacon
05/16/2001, 01:58 PM
Quoted from the website: "Merlin will register as a motorcycle so insurance should be inexpensive, along the lines of what you would expect to pay for an average street motorcycle."

Good luck getting that thing insured like an average motorcycle. Most, if not all, standard motorcycle insurance carriers list 3 and 4 wheeled vehicles as ineligible for coverage, (or surcharged, which adds significantly to the premium). Many non-standard or "high-risk" companies will probably insure these vehicles but the premium will almost certainly be higher than an average street bike.

That thing is just novel enough that it could generate some sales. And with fuel prices going up, we may see some of those on the streets eventually.

Autumn
05/16/2001, 03:55 PM
It's really cute, but with all of the Godzilla SUVs around here I'd feel like I was riding around with a giant target painted on the hood.

One tap from a distracted Soccer Mom and it's *SQUISH* on the front bumper just like a bug...

Snailman
05/16/2001, 08:45 PM
$17,000 :eek:

Sea Dragon
05/16/2001, 09:48 PM
That's no car, it's a motorized tricycle.

olgakurt
05/17/2001, 07:08 AM
I have been keeping tabs on the Toyota and Honda cars. I believe the toyota is a little larger (4 seat) and steel bodied whereas the Honda is smaller (2 seat) and made from aluminum. Not sure I am convinced of the safety of either yet. I had a '79 Fiat when I was in college that got 42 mpg but that thing was like a death trap with the truckers who drove me off the road a couple times changing lanes without seeing me.

hartman
05/17/2001, 10:19 AM
olgakurt,

I have looked at both these these cars.

The <b>
<a href="www.honda2001.com/models/insight/index.html?honda=intro">Honda Insight</b></a>. is basiclly a replacement to the CRX. It is very small and looks like all the first gen elecrtic car did.

Toyoto on the other had has done a sweet job with the <b><a href="http://prius.toyota.com/">prius</b></a>. You can't tell that it is a hybrit at all by looking at it. I seat 4 and runs just like normal. The only really big change is that the gas engine runs and electric generator that will then take over for the gas engine to save fuel. As the batery runs low the gas starts again drives the car and charges the battery. So you get good gas milage. at it only cost about 21K fully loaded.

Hartman

Ophidia
05/17/2001, 10:56 AM
The Prius also has more power and I believe better range. I test drove one and it was not too bad. The Honda hybrid is less refined, gutless, and cramped. No me gusta Honda Insight.
Of course, I am 6'4, so both of them were quite cramped. And, I am not willing to pay 20 g's for a little gutless car just because it get's 50 MPG.

The Merlin is a cool little beastie though. It would be interesting to try one out, but definitely too expensive for what it is.

CHris

hartman
05/17/2001, 11:11 AM
Ophidia

"The Prius also has more power and I believe better range" well you never charge it just fill it with gas, and is on average gets 45-50mpg. I could see that for you both cars are a little small. Both these car are not really that advanced read my post on ever better cars in the future.

<a href="http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=21097">electric cars of the future</a>

Hartman

Ophidia
05/17/2001, 03:16 PM
I meant range between fill-ups. I believe neither of them require charging :).
Chris

signu459
05/17/2001, 03:27 PM
Hey I had a CRX in college, what great car. 49 MPG and that was with the pedal on the floor going 87 MPH (89 with a strong tail wind or down hill). I got rid of it at 149,000 miles when it's first clutch started get soft.