PDA

View Full Version : White Spot on side of new coral beauty

justus
05/16/2001, 09:15 AM
I just purchased a coral beauty last night from my LFS. After acclimating him to my tank's lights and water I noticed that he has one white spot about 1mm in size that hangs off of his body. it looks like a little hair or worm of some kind and he seems to shake every once in a while when he swims. I don't know what this is and I want to get rid of it. I have a 10 gal tank that I use for hospital purposes, but that seems too small for an angelfish. What should I do?

maroun.c
05/16/2001, 11:36 AM
I'll keep the diagnosis of this spot to the experts, i'll just tell you about my experience with the Qtank, NO it ain't small for angels, I managed to keep my coral beauty with my regal tang and my butterfly in a 10 gallon Q tank for a month when I had to keep my display tank empty to treat for Ich, This sure is very risky but it was my last resort then and I really had no problems. Few things you have to watch out for, don't fill the tank with main tank water, a few of it can boost the system that is true but i've seen very high ammoania levels after big volum water exchange from the display tank if ur Q tank is not cycled, I don't have much experience with LR in the Q tank, I just use a small wet dry filter. One thing helped me get amonia readings to 0 and that was adding some coral sand from the display tank to the quarantine(many persons advised me not to have coral sand in the Q tank but without it many of my fish got dead within one hour in there and it took me around a year to figure that out), is the Q tank always runing and cycled? do frequent tests for a little overfeeding can get things out of hand in such a small volum.Despite those inconveniences I really came to trust quarantining fish, a small Q tank can be realy easy to get hyposalinity imagine if you had to change around half of ur display tank's water,it's easier to catch fish to do freshwater dips or some baths (malachite...) and finally if things go wrong like a copper overdose a quik 2-3 gallon change will save your fish it happened to me on the post that's still on top from like 10 days.
One thing I think should be of interest to you is when i was tresting my coral beauty with coper I got close to overdosing and what made me notice that is that it lost it's colors and became a bit whitish. I don't know if copper will be recommended to this case but if you have any other alternative try to avoid copper.
As I said i'll leave the diagnosis and treatment plan to the experts however I think ur coral beauty has the same think that my bicolor has except for the shaking thing the thread is still active (new fish white spots).
One last thing: I learnt it the hard way but now i really know it, there is noting like quarantining ur fish for having a successful display tank.
Can't believe I wrote that much.
Maroun.