PDA

View Full Version : Fish Survey: Queen Angelfish

Seafan
08/26/2003, 12:57 PM
If you currently keep this fish, please select the options starting with "current owner"; if you kept this fish in the past and no longer keep the same fish, please select options starting with "past owner".

If you could take some time and share your experience with this fish (Naso lituratus), please take the following survey. I will then put together a web page of this fish on my web site at Aquarist Report (http://www22.brinkster.com/seafan/)
Thanks!

Jason

Seafan
08/26/2003, 01:10 PM
The following is is a list of questions/topics about this fish species. If you would like to include them in your reply, click on the last icon of this post (Reply with Quote), and remove the [ QUOTE ] [ B ] tag in the beginning and the [/QUOTE][/B] at the end.<br /><br />SELECTION<br />Did you mail order this fish and would you recommend mail order this fish? Are there captive-raised/bred specimen available and where? <br />Any tips on how you picked a healthy specimen of this species from LFS? What do you think is the ideal size to get? <br />Are there any noticeable differences in body shape, pattern or color among the same species or between juvenile and adult of this species? <br />Is there a way to tell the sex of this fish? <br /><br />ACCLIMATION AND INTRODUCTION<br />Any special tips about the acclimation and introduction of this fish? <br />Any special needs for this fish or special considerations for young specimen? <br />Should this fish be the first or the last to introduce to a tank? <br /><br />COMPATIBILITY<br />What tankmates do you have with this fish?Is it a reef or FO tank? <br />Have you had more than one of this species in the same tank? If so, is there a certain male/female ratio or group number worked for you (to have a harem or pecking order)? Do they school? <br />Have you had other species of the same genus/family in the same tank? <br />What’s the stocking order (considering the above factors) that worked for you?<br />Did this fish hurt/eat any of other fish (or vice versa)? <br />Did this fish hurt/eat Cnidaria (corals, mushrooms or anemones)?<br />Did this fish hurt/eat ornamental crustaceans (shrimps, hermits, crabs)? <br />Did this fish hurt/eat Mollusks (snails, clams, oysters, mussels)?<br />Did this fish hurt/eat Echinoderms (sea cucumbers, sea stars, urchins)?<br />Did this fish hurt/eat Worms (feather dusters, flat worms, etc)?<br /><br />FEEDING <br />How did you get this fish to eat at first? <br />If this fish only accepted live food, how did you wean it over to prepared food? does it eat dry food? (flakes and pallets) <br />What’s the diet? <br />How much and how often do you feed? <br />How does this fish eat?(grazers, active or sedentary predators, sand sifters, etc)<br />Does this fish eat any microalgae or macroalgae in your tank? If so what type of algae? <br /><br />GROWTH RATE AND LIFE SPAN<br />What is the initial size of your fish and maximum size it reached? How fast did it grow (how much growth over a given period of time)? <br />What size tank did this fish live in? (or how soon did this fish outgrow what size tank)? What do you think is the minimum tank size required for an adult specimen of this fish? <br />If this fish went through body pattern change from juvenile to adult, was the change complete? How long did it take? <br />How long have you kept this fish? If you no longer have this fish, what was the cause? <br />What is the longest lifespan and the maximum size of this fish in home aquarium and/or in the wild reported? <br /><br />DISEASE AND TREATMENT<br />What disease has this fish had? How did you treat it, for how long? What's the effect of the treatment? <br /><br />BEHAVIOR <br />Does this fish change body color under any circumstances? <br />Does this fish dig the substrate often? <br />How active is this fish? Is this fish shy? <br />How territorial or aggressive is this fish? How does this fish interact with tankmates? <br />Did this fish ever jump out of the tank? <br />How does this fish sleep?<br />Does this fish allow cleaners to clean? If so which cleaner and how often? <br />How does this fish interact with human? <br />Did the fish release toxic substance that killed other creatures in the tank? <br />Any other interesting observation of this fish? <br /><br />REPRODUCTION<br />If you have a mated pair, how did you get them to pair up? <br />Any information of spawning in captivity? <br /><br />SUMMARY<br />Your overall assessment of this species - <br />How sensitive is this fish to poor water quality on a scale of 1-5? <br />1 - very tolerant, may survive a cycle in a new tank<br />2 - quite tolerant, may survive accidental ammonia or nitrite spike<br />3 - not terribly sensitive to reasonable pH, salinity or temperature changes<br />4 - sensitive to any significant water chemistry changes, and may show stress during such changes<br />5 - very sensitive to water quality, may easily get stressed and get sick with any change in water chemistry<br />Do you think we should not keep this fish (for what reason)? <br />Would you recommend this fish to beginners? <br />Is this fish best kept in mature/established (6 months or older) tank? <br />Any other recommendations/comments? <br /><br />REFERENCES <br />Do you have any links to web sites, online articles or any other source of information about this species that you would recommend?<br /><br />If you have any picture(s) of this fish you took, please post it here and share with us!

bluereefs
08/26/2003, 02:16 PM
SELECTION
Did you mail order this fish and would you recommend mail order this fish?
No
Are there captive-raised/bred specimen available and where?
I dont know
Any tips on how you picked a healthy specimen of this species from LFS?
They(ciliaris and paru) was single specimen ,just came from the plain in shop and have limphocystis already,plus ick.
What do you think is the ideal size to get?
3-4 inches
Are there any noticeable differences in body shape, pattern or color among the same species or between juvenile and adult of this species?
I dont know,I only read about that,completly diferent colour form in island around Brasil(?)
Is there a way to tell the sex of this fish?
I dont know

ACCLIMATION AND INTRODUCTION
Any special tips about the acclimation and introduction of this fish?
I release her in reef aquarium,that is best IMO(of course aquarium conditions must be good)
Any special needs for this fish or special considerations for young specimen?
Good food,good aquarium,good tankmates
Should this fish be the first or the last to introduce to a tank?
Depends about other fishes,but if is she most agresive then she must be introduced last

COMPATIBILITY
What tankmates do you have with this fish?Is it a reef or FO tank?
Reef,zebrasoma scopas,chromis viridis
Have you had more than one of this species in the same tank? If so, is there a certain male/female ratio or group number worked for you (to have a harem or pecking order)? Do they school?
I have only one
Have you had other species of the same genus/family in the same tank?
Pomacanthus paru and ciliaris was introduced same time in the tank,next day I remove paru because ciliaris almost kill him(and he was half bigger)
What’s the stocking order (considering the above factors) that worked for you?
Did this fish hurt/eat any of other fish (or vice versa)?
Yes
Did this fish hurt/eat Cnidaria (corals, mushrooms or anemones)?
Yes(xenie)
Did this fish hurt/eat ornamental crustaceans (shrimps, hermits, crabs)?
No,what I know
Did this fish hurt/eat Mollusks (snails, clams, oysters, mussels)?
No what I know
Did this fish hurt/eat Echinoderms (sea cucumbers, sea stars, urchins)?
No,but I have only urchins in that tank
Did this fish hurt/eat Worms (feather dusters, flat worms, etc)?
I dont know,probably yes for feather duster and she eated all colony of small clavulina ascidians.

FEEDING
How did you get this fish to eat at first?
She eat from first day
If this fish only accepted live food, how did you wean it over to prepared food? does it eat dry food? (flakes and pallets)
She eat everything
What’s the diet?
Basic food is salifert energy plus granule,then flakes,caulerpa and stuf from live rock
How much and how often do you feed?
3-5 times a day
How does this fish eat?(grazers, active or sedentary predators, sand sifters, etc)
Mostly from the hands
Does this fish eat any microalgae or macroalgae in your tank? If so what type of algae?
Yes,all type

GROWTH RATE AND LIFE SPAN
What is the initial size of your fish and maximum size it reached?
4 inches,I have her only few months,I dont have a clue how much she grows
How fast did it grow (how much growth over a given period of time)?
Compared to pomacanthus paru,slower growth
What size tank did this fish live in? (or how soon did this fish outgrow what size tank)?
75 g,I dont know answer for second question,probably fast
What do you think is the minimum tank size required for an adult specimen of this fish?
300-400 g
If this fish went through body pattern change from juvenile to adult, was the change complete? How long did it take?
I dont know
How long have you kept this fish?
Few months
If you no longer have this fish, what was the cause?
I still have her
What is the longest lifespan and the maximum size of this fish in home aquarium and/or in the wild reported?
I dont know,20 years IIRC

DISEASE AND TREATMENT
What disease has this fish had?
Lymphocistis,ick
How did you treat it, for how long? What's the effect of the treatment?
No treatment(medications or quarantine),after months or two she is like new

BEHAVIOR
Does this fish change body color under any circumstances?
I dont know,I think not
Does this fish dig the substrate often?
I dont have substrate in that tank
How active is this fish? Is this fish shy?
Active,gracious,not shy, very friendly
How territorial or aggressive is this fish? How does this fish interact with tankmates?
Is cool now(after I remove paruu)
Did this fish ever jump out of the tank?
No
How does this fish sleep?
I dont know,probably hidden somewhere in the rocks
Does this fish allow cleaners to clean? If so which cleaner and how often?
Dont have cleaner shrimp in that aquarium
How does this fish interact with human?
Like dog
Did the fish release toxic substance that killed other creatures in the tank?
Bump
Any other interesting observation of this fish?
She is hungry all the time??

REPRODUCTION
If you have a mated pair, how did you get them to pair up?
Any information of spawning in captivity?

SUMMARY
Your overall assessment of this species -
How sensitive is this fish to poor water quality on a scale of 1-5?
I dont put any fishes in poor water quality(that dont have a sense)
1 - very tolerant, may survive a cycle in a new tank
2 - quite tolerant, may survive accidental ammonia or nitrite spike
3 - not terribly sensitive to reasonable pH, salinity or temperature changes
4 - sensitive to any significant water chemistry changes, and may show stress during such changes
5 - very sensitive to water quality, may easily get stressed and get sick with any change in water chemistry
Do you think we should not keep this fish (for what reason)?
Yes ,she get too big
Would you recommend this fish to beginners?
No
Is this fish best kept in mature/established (6 months or older) tank?
Yes
Any other recommendations/comments?

REFERENCES
Do you have any links to web sites, online articles or any other source of information about this species that you would recommend?
:D

teevee
08/30/2003, 01:42 PM
Holacanthus ciliaris is the Queen angelfish, Naso lituratus is a species of tang.

Seafan
08/30/2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by teevee
Holacanthus ciliaris is the Queen angelfish, Naso lituratus is a species of tang.

Thanks for pointing it out to me. I was copying the text from the previous Fish Survey of Naso Tang, and didn't change it to Holacanthus ciliaris. Sorry about the confusion. But the current setting wouldn't allow me to edit my post after 60 minutes.

Bomber
08/31/2003, 08:13 AM
Nope

Yes occasionally, check with Forrest at Dynasty Marine. We do still raise them every now and then.

Nope

About 1" to 2". Keep in mind they have high metabolisms at that age and need to be fed often.

Are there any noticeable differences in body shape, pattern or color among the same species or between juvenile and adult of this species?
Yes definately, but they always look like what they are.

Yes, but most people can't.

Not really, they are very tough.

The younger they are, the higher metabolism.

Depends on the size and what's in the tank.

What tankmates do you have with this fish?
9" queen, 2" rock beauty, 3" french, 4 grammas, pr candy bass, tobacco fish, 5 blue chromis, pr reef butterflys, several blennies, shrimp, crabs, urchins, etc

Is it a reef or FO tank?
reef

Have you had more than one of this species in the same tank?
yes

If so, is there a certain male/female ratio or group number worked for you (to have a harem or pecking order)?
size

Do they school?
no

yes

size

picked on a french one time

At about four years old, acquired a taste for ricordea and cleaned it all out.

no

no

no

Did this fish hurt/eat Worms (feather dusters, flat worms, etc)?'
no

captive raised. Wild ones are very easy to get to eat anyway.

If this fish only accepted live food, how did you wean it over to prepared food? does it eat dry food?
only home made foods

What’s the diet?
Freah seafood and sea weed.

4-5 times a day for juvs, gradually weaned over to 1-2 times a day as they get older

How does this fish eat?(grazers, active or sedentary predators, sand sifters, etc)
graze and active

Does this fish eat any microalgae or macroalgae in your tank? If so what type of algae?
nope

What is the initial size of your fish and maximum size it reached? How fast did it grow (how much growth over a given period of time)?
from time of settlement (aprox 1/2") about 2" the first year and then about 1" per year after that

What size tank did this fish live in? (or how soon did this fish outgrow what size tank)?
450gal

What do you think is the minimum tank size required for an adult specimen of this fish?
depends on what the fish is used to. I would say 200 min. But they are not zoomers or schoolers and don't really exercise that much. Mostly you'd need the large volume to help with water quality issues.

If this fish went through body pattern change from juvenile to adult, was the change complete? How long did it take?
3 years

How long have you kept this fish? If you no longer have this fish, what was the cause?
6years, she's fine

What is the longest lifespan and the maximum size of this fish in home aquarium and/or in the wild reported?
We've had them around for a good 15 years or longer, probably about 20 in the wild.

What disease has this fish had? How did you treat it, for how long? What's the effect of the treatment?
none, we run a big UV

nope

nope, no substrate now

How active is this fish? Is this fish shy?
fairly active, nope

How territorial or aggressive is this fish? How does this fish interact with tankmates?
extremely, she's the boss

nope

in her house

Does this fish allow cleaners to clean? If so which cleaner and how often?
yes, Lysmata grabhami. whenever she's bored

no fear

nope

she's a queen angel, what else is there to say

If you have a mated pair, how did you get them to pair up?Any information of spawning in captivity?
It's done artifically

depends on what's in the water, temp, O2 levels - can be very sensitive to some things or combination

- very tolerant, may survive a cycle in a new tank - quite tolerant, may survive accidental ammonia or nitrite spike - not terribly sensitive to reasonable pH, salinity or temperature changes- sensitive to any significant water chemistry changes, and may show stress during such changes - very sensitive to water quality, may easily get stressed and get sick with any change in water chemistry-
In the old days, they were used to cycle tanks.

nope they make great pets

yes, as long as they understand personality and how to take care of them

aren't they all?

Do you have any links to web sites, online articles or any other source of information about this species that you would recommend?If you have any picture(s) of this fish you took, please post it here and share with us!

Malcomb
http://rockyshores.saltyzoo.com/Jerel/Reef1/2003-08-07-8811.jpg

David P
08/31/2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Seafan
br /><br />SELECTION<br />Did you mail order this fish and would you recommend mail order this fish?
no
Are there captive-raised/bred specimen available and where? <br />
looked for one with good fins
What do you think is the ideal size to get? <br />
3"
Are there any noticeable differences in body shape, pattern or color among the same species or between juvenile and adult of this species? <br />Is there a way to tell the sex of this fish? <br /><br />
ACCLIMATION AND INTRODUCTION<br />Any special tips about the acclimation and introduction of this fish? <br />
I floated for 1/2 hour, added some tank water and released
Any special needs for this fish or special considerations for young specimen? <br />Should this fish be the first or the last to introduce to a tank? <br /><br />
COMPATIBILITY<br />What tankmates do you have with this fish?Is it a reef or FO tank? <br />
Emerator Angel, few butterflys, golden headed sleepers, blue jaw trigger, snowflake eel,tomatoe clown, 3-stripe damsels. FOWLR
Have you had more than one of this species in the same tank? If so, is there a certain male/female ratio or group number worked for you (to have a harem or pecking order)? Do they school?
no
<br />Have you had other species of the same genus/family in the same tank?
emperator angel and they seemed to be friends and hung together <br />What’s the stocking order (considering the above factors) that worked for you?
all was cool until my mom put in the damsels, the "cute little fish" killed the angel
<br />Did this fish hurt/eat any of other fish (or vice versa)?
killed by damsels, queen was kind
<br />Did this fish hurt/eat Cnidaria (corals, mushrooms or anemones)?
no<br />Did this fish hurt/eat ornamental crustaceans (shrimps, hermits, crabs)? no
<br />Did this fish hurt/eat Mollusks (snails, clams, oysters, mussels)?no
<br />Did this fish hurt/eat Echinoderms (sea cucumbers, sea stars, urchins)?no
<br />Did this fish hurt/eat Worms (feather dusters, flat worms, etc)?<br />no
<br />FEEDING <br />How did you get this fish to eat at first? <br />I threw in some "gumdrops and it started eating
If this fish only accepted live food, how did you wean it over to prepared food?
n/1
does it eat dry food? (flakes and pallets)
yes<br />
What’s the diet? <br />
anything I threw in
How much and how often do you feed? <br />
once a day about 8 gumdrops if I remember correctly
How does this fish eat?(grazers, active or sedentary predators, sand sifters, etc)<br />
active
Does this fish eat any microalgae or macroalgae in your tank? If so what type of algae? <br />
no
<br />GROWTH RATE AND LIFE SPAN<br />What is the initial size of your fish and maximum size it reached? How fast did it grow (how much growth over a given period of time)? <br />What size tank did this fish live in? (or how soon did this fish outgrow what size tank)? What do you think is the minimum tank size required for an adult specimen of this fish? <br />
125g
If this fish went through body pattern change from juvenile to adult, was the change complete? How long did it take? <br />was almost done changing when killed
How long have you kept this fish? If you no longer have this fish, what was the cause? <br />about 2 years KIA
What is the longest lifespan and the maximum size of this fish in home aquarium and/or in the wild reported? <br /><br />DISEASE AND TREATMENT<br />What disease has this fish had? How did you treat it, for how long? What's the effect of the treatment?
N/A <br /><br />BEHAVIOR <br />Does this fish change body color under any circumstances? it would get stressed and lighten its colors whenever I was doing a waterchange, a few hours later it was ok<br />Does this fish dig the substrate often? <br />no
How active is this fish? Is this fish shy? <br />quite active not shy
How territorial or aggressive is this fish? How does this fish interact with tankmates? <br />not territorial, not aggressive, swim and let swim was its motto
Did this fish ever jump out of the tank? <br />no
How does this fish sleep?<br />under watter?
Does this fish allow cleaners to clean? If so which cleaner and how often? <br />didnt have any
How does this fish interact with human? <br />begged for food like most fish
Did the fish release toxic substance that killed other creatures in the tank? <br />
no
Any other interesting observation of this fish? <br />
yeah its beautifull
<br />REPRODUCTION<br />If you have a mated pair, how did you get them to pair up? <br />Any information of spawning in captivity? <br /><br />SUMMARY<br />Your overall assessment of this species - <br />great fish, if I had a larger tank, I would get another one
How sensitive is this fish to poor water quality on a scale of 1-5? <br />1 - very tolerant, may survive a cycle in a new tank<br />2 - quite tolerant, may survive accidental ammonia or nitrite spike<br />3 - not terribly sensitive to reasonable pH, salinity or temperature changes<br />4 - sensitive to any significant water chemistry changes, and may show stress during such changes<br />5 - very sensitive to water quality, may easily get stressed and get sick with any change in water chemistry<br />
2 I had it in a 125g only running 3 magnum 350s
Do you think we should not keep this fish (for what reason)? <br />
keep one theyre great
Would you recommend this fish to beginners? <br />after a few months of keeping other fish alive
Is this fish best kept in mature/established (6 months or older) tank? <br />loaded question, all fish are
Any other recommendations/comments? <br /><br />REFERENCES <br />Do you have any links to web sites, online articles or any other source of information about this species that you would recommend?<br /><br />If you have any picture(s) of this fish you took, please post it here and share with us!

Aquaman
09/10/2003, 06:48 AM
Dang thats a nice looking Queen Bomber!

Addicted Reefer
09/12/2003, 06:31 PM
Thats exactly what i was thinking. Such vibrant colors and so beautiful. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Aquaman
Dang thats a nice looking Queen Bomber!

tricky
09/18/2003, 10:42 PM
Did you mail order this fish and would you recommend mail order this fish? I prefer to observe fish at my LFS for condition, behavior and feeding interest.<br />
I look for ragged fins, clear fins, clear eyes, make sure they aren't clamping their fins in tightly - relaxed behavior, feeding response, coloration. Personality and interest in people is also very important. They must match well with the behaviour of our existing fish. We had our LFS hold her for several days to observe if some damage on her fins was healing properly.<br />
We have tried a couple fish that we going through "puberty" previously, didn't have much luck keeping them more than 6 months. This fish had already lost all her juvenile stripes, but she's not fully at her adult colors and has done great. Size was about 5" when we brought her home. <br />
Juvenile coloration is dark blueish black with yellow vertical stripes. Adult coloration is yellow body, blue "halo" on head, blue "eyeshadow", blue markings on gills, tips of top and bottom are glue and bright orange/gold. As it progresses in age, the orange/gold on top & bottom fins becomes even more noticeable.
<br />Is there a way to tell the sex of this fish?
Not officially that I know of. But ours must be a girl because she has is SOOOO sexy ;) <br /><br />ACCLIMATION AND INTRODUCTION<br />Any special tips about the acclimation and introduction of this fish?
Just make sure the new fish matches the personality of other tankmates. Fed the existing fish well before releasing the new fish. Introduced the new fish at the end of the day, turned out lights shortly after feeding. Observed for agression by existing fish. She was bigger than the other fish in the tank, so this wasn't a problem.
<br />Any special needs for this fish or special considerations for young specimen? Just make sure they get lots to eat.
<br />Should this fish be the first or the last to introduce to a tank? Didn't have any other angels in tank, so didn't matter.
<br /><br />COMPATIBILITY<br />What tankmates do you have with this fish?Is it a reef or FO tank? You probably want species, not their names. Niger trigger, regal blue tang, stars & stripes puffer, harwicke wrasse, percula clown, clown hawkfish, purple tang. Just added a baby clown trigger a few weeks ago.
<br />
Have you had more than one of this species in the same tank? If so, is there a certain male/female ratio or group number worked for you (to have a harem or pecking order)? Do they school? Had a juvenile queen along with a coral beauty, they did ok together, didn't seem to notice each other. The queen doesn't school.<br />Have you had other species of the same genus/family in the same tank?
N/A<br>Have not introduced the queen to our reef tank.<br />FEEDING <br />How did you get this fish to eat at first? Showed her food. No problems here as she was well acclimated at the LFS.<br />If this fish only accepted live food, how did you wean it over to prepared food? does it eat dry food? (flakes and pallets) She eats live, flake, pellets, nori, anything, including my fingers if she can catch them.<br />
What’s the diet? <br />How much and how often do you feed? Feed 1 x day normally in evening. With new baby clownfish in tank, have been feeding 2 x day for last few weeks. <br />How does this fish eat?(grazers, active or sedentary predators, sand sifters, etc)<br /> Actively competes for food in the tank, looks for larger pieces, but will eat small pellets on sand bottom.Does this fish eat any microalgae or macroalgae in your tank? If so what type of algae? N/A<br /><br />GROWTH RATE AND LIFE SPAN<br />What is the initial size of your fish and maximum size it reached? How fast did it grow (how much growth over a given period of time)? Maybe an inch in the 1-1/2 yrs. <br />What size tank did this fish live in? She's in a 79 gallon fish only tank with live sand. (or how soon did this fish outgrow what size tank)? What do you think is the minimum tank size required for an adult specimen of this fish? It will probably be several years before she outgrows the tank. <br />If this fish went through body pattern change from juvenile to adult, was the change complete? How long did it take? I've never had any luck getting ANY fish to go through "puberty" in our tank. <br />How long have you kept this fish? If you no longer have this fish, what was the cause? We've had this fish for 1-1/2 years now. <br /> <br /><br />DISEASE AND TREATMENT<br />[b]What disease has this fish had? How did you treat it, for how long? What's the effect of the treatment? Our fish had lymphocystitis when we saw her at the fish store. She adapted very well to our tank, lost the white bruises on her fin tips, and has done excellent in our tank. <br /><br />BEHAVIOR <br />Does this fish change body color under any circumstances? She puts on her pajamas at night - darkens in color.<br />Does this fish dig the substrate often? No.<br />How active is this fish? Is this fish shy? She's very active swimming around tank, and particularly at feeding time.<br />How territorial or aggressive is this fish? How does this fish interact with tankmates? She gets along well with everyone. Recently noticed some occasional agression from the blue tang which is growing faster and is now about the same size as the queen. The blue tang will nip at the queen trying to run her off at feeding time, and she nips back at the blue tang leaves her alone then.<br />Did this fish ever jump out of the tank? No<br />How does this fish sleep?Leans up against the decorative coral and puts on her pajamas.<br />Does this fish allow cleaners to clean? If so which cleaner and how often? We had a cleaner wrasse, and she really loved her daily grooming sessions, even let the wrasse clean inside her gills. Many of the fish competed for grooming services, standing in line at the grooming station and changed colors to attract the cleaner's attention. Pretty cool to watch. <br />How does this fish interact with human? She is extremely personable, always watching us even from across the room. Always swims up to meet us and look at us.<br />Did the fish release toxic substance that killed other creatures in the tank?No. <br />Any other interesting observation of this fish? Swimming behavior - she swims sideways, upside down, graceful movements - really fun to watch. <br /><br />REPRODUCTION<br />If you have a mated pair, how did you get them to pair up? N/A<br />Any information of spawning in captivity? N/A<br /><br />SUMMARY<br />Your overall assessment of this species - <br />How sensitive is this fish to poor water quality on a scale of 1-5? <br />1 - very tolerant, may survive a cycle in a new tank<br />2 - quite tolerant, may survive accidental ammonia or nitrite spike<br />3 - not terribly sensitive to reasonable pH, salinity or temperature changes<br />4 - sensitive to any significant water chemistry changes, and may show stress during such changes<br />5 - very sensitive to water quality, may easily get stressed and get sick with any change in water chemistry<br />2 or 3Do you think we should not keep this fish (for what reason)? Don't keep in a small tank, ours is probably marginal if she lives for 7-8 years as our other fish have.<br />Would you recommend this fish to beginners? <br />No, they can be a bit temperamental and are expensive.Is this fish best kept in mature/established (6 months or older) tank? Yes.<br />Any other recommendations/comments? <br /><br />REFERENCES <br />Do you have any links to web sites, online articles or any other source of information about this species that you would recommend?<br /><br />If you have any picture(s) of this fish you took, please post it here and share with us!

Bomber
09/19/2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks guys :), I'll bump this back up for Jason with two more of Malcomb.
http://rockyshores.saltyzoo.com/Jerel/Reef2/2003-08-02-8751.jpg

http://rockyshores.saltyzoo.com/Jerel/Reef2/2003-08-02-8750.jpg

bowfront
09/20/2003, 11:19 PM
Beautiful pics Jerel but I've never experienced any luck with this species together with Pacific corals. If anybody else has let us know how. They are relatively easy to catch in the wild here in FL.

Bomber
09/22/2003, 08:38 PM
I've never kept one with Pacific corals. I know they will get a taste for any "meaty" corals, not SPS types. But like ricordea, rose, Atlantic mushroom, and flower.

bowfront
09/22/2003, 11:13 PM
Beautiful fish as your pictures show but just a tad aggresive in eating behavior for a Pacific reef tank IME. Again great pics of an awesome animal.

tricky
09/30/2003, 07:58 PM
Beautiful pictures. Our 2 year old angel doesn't have the really long fins yet. I'm assuming those will grow longer as she matures.

mattsilvester
10/04/2003, 04:51 PM
SELECTION

No, I did not, and I would like to see the specimen before I bought it - whatever about its health, but their colour can really vary.

Not that I know of.

Any tips on how you picked a healthy specimen of this species from LFS? What do you think is the ideal size to get?

Healthy specimen - like all angels, active, good colour and body shape, eating. Good size, about 3 to 4".

Yes.

No.

ACCLIMATION AND INTRODUCTION
Aclimatise as per normal.

Younger fish need to be fed a few times a day - greens should be at least 50% of diet.

They are quite hardy, so no problem going in early from health point of view - but aggressive and territorial, so better to let other fish get established first.

COMPATIBILITY
What tankmates do you have with this fish?Is it a reef or FO tank?

HAD a marginal reef set up - no probs with leathers, 'shrooms and star polyps. tankmates were an odd assortment really.

No to all the above.

emporer angel.

Again, it was an odd arrangement.

Emporer angel didn't like queen, but nothing serious - apart from that, no.

Did this fish hurt/eat Worms (feather dusters, flat worms, etc)?

Didn'at harm anything inthe tank.

FEEDING

she just fed straight away.

If this fish only accepted live food, how did you wean it over to prepared food? does it eat dry food? (flakes and pallets)

What’s the diet?

Everything and anything..... seaweed, frozen and dried foods.

Twice a day.

Omnivore - picks and eats pretty much anything.

She ate caulerpa alright, and constantly grazed on the otherwise bare LR.

GROWTH RATE AND LIFE SPAN
What is the initial size of your fish and maximum size it reached?

3 to 4" ....... got 4 to5" in a year or so.

How fast did it grow (how much growth over a given period of time)?

1" a year or so.

What size tank did this fish live in? (or how soon did this fish outgrow what size tank)? What do you think is the minimum tank size required for an adult specimen of this fish?

Mine was in a 84"x18"x20" ..... which is alot bigger than 120 gals sounds !!! I moved her on because I was reducing stock in the tank, and she was a good way to reduce bioload dramatically, and it was only a matter of time before the emporer made it impossible anyway. I think with sensible stocking, good aquascaping, and no other big fish ..... i.e. no big 7 or 8" tangs (powder blue, naso, sailfin etc) or fish like that, then a 180 is fine ..... if you insist on a "big fish" community, or a tank full of LR with a tonne of coral on top, then at least 240. Adult specimen ..... I read that as a fish bought as juvanile, and most likely to get no bigger than a foot...... I don'tread that as a wild caught adult at 10" being plonked into a 180.

It takes years...... mine looked more like an adult than a juvi.

How long have you kept this fish? If you no longer have this fish, what was the cause?

I had her for a little over a year..... reasons for moving her on.... tank was overstocked, and I never should have had 2 angels anyway ..... so I kept the emporer and sold her on.... along with a few others..... only put two angels together on bad advice, and despite no serious consequences, I wouldn't recommend mixing angels to anyone.

Don't know.

DISEASE AND TREATMENT
What disease has this fish had? How did you treat it, for how long? What's the effect of the treatment?

BEHAVIOR
No
No
How active is this fish?
Quite active, typical angel.
Is this fish shy?
No
How territorial or aggressive is this fish?
Mine was quite peaceful, but I think she was kept down by the emporer.
How does this fish interact with tankmates?
OK
No
Typical angel, in a cave, AFTER everything thing else has retired.

Does this fish allow cleaners to clean?
Yes
If so which cleaner and how often?
All, quite often.
Keen to be fed.
No
Typical angel.... they are very interesting in every way.

REPRODUCTION
If you have a mated pair, how did you get them to pair up?
Any information of spawning in captivity?

SUMMARY
Your overall assessment of this species -
1 - very tolerant, may survive a cycle in a new tank
2 - quite tolerant, may survive accidental ammonia or nitrite spike
3 - not terribly sensitive to reasonable pH, salinity or temperature changes
4 - sensitive to any significant water chemistry changes, and may show stress during such changes
5 - very sensitive to water quality, may easily get stressed and get sick with any change in water chemistry

import small juv. only, and keep in decent sized tanks .... 180 for adults only.....
Yes, if they were likely to be mature, responsible owners, that knew exactly whatthey were undertaking

Ideally, but not critical in my view.

Any other recommendations/comments?

Think about this for a year before getting one, and plan the tank around the fish ..... fit things around the needs of the fish .... this is a DEMANDING fish.... not difficult..... It demands certain things..... such as space, suitable tankmates and so on.... if her demands are not met, she'll become a very stroppy and cranky fish very quickly.... and eventually go on hunger strike..... and will be very stubborn about it. Meet the demands, and things arevery straight forward. So plan plan plan..... and be prepared to meet their changing needs and fancies over time..... if you are willing to accomodate these demands, then you'll be sucessful and happy with a queen angel..... if you expect the fish to follow what you consider to be the rules, then you'll probably hate this fish, loose te contest of will, and end up either trading or loosing the animal.

REFERENCES
Do you have any links to web sites, online articles or any other source of information about this species that you would recommend?

I think Bob Fenner (Con. marine aquar.)has some interesting things to say about angels in general, and the queen angel. Its worth reading the chapter in his book about angels...... all of it, not just the little bit. His general opinion about angels is a sensible one, and if you read it a couple of times and let it sink in, it is really all the advice you'll ever need to keep this fish.

If you have any picture(s) of this fish you took, please post it here and share with us!

Wish I had some, but the fish is gone ...... looked like a younger version of Bombers' queen.