PDA

View Full Version : what should I do?

1SQ
08/26/2003, 07:50 AM
I have read many threads on the topic of DSB. This was the route I was going to take for my reef tank.
Then I came across other topics that many of you are pulling your DSB out and going with bare bottom or a SHALLOW sand bed.

What should I do? What route should I take. I don't want to establish a Reef system and in several years I will have to disassemble the ecosystem and start over.

Please help me with this dilema

Nanook
08/26/2003, 07:54 AM
What should I do? What route should I take.

Just use the force;) There is NO ONE RIGHT WAY TO DO ANYTHING IN THIS HOBBY! DSB will work, bare bottom will work, read and read and read some more, then take a dive.

FWIW, I am going to be using a 1-2" sandbed in my future tanks and a very DSB in a large refugium for denitrification.

I personally do not like the look of the DSB and if there is an accumulation potential, I want the DSB to be in a separate system to avoid destroying the tank.

Nanook

reef-man_d-man
08/26/2003, 08:29 AM
Nook is right use the force:strooper: I have heard of many people that are going to the DSB in refugium and not in the show tank. If I ever redo everything (thats a definite yes) I will probably take this avenue.

1SQ
08/27/2003, 06:06 AM
thank you for the quick replies

any more comments.

ABahn
08/27/2003, 06:26 AM
I've done both. Just to add, if you chose to use an aragonite base for your DSB, worry NOT, it does disolve after time. So its not there forever.

If you set-up a refugium, I dont see a need for a DSB in your main.

JUST DO IT.

Cheers,

ABahn

alrmc4
08/27/2003, 07:00 AM
after reading some very well written posts on this subject i decided that i would go with shallow in main and deep in ref...because i think the dsb tends to take away from the look of the tank...now i wonder if i should not have gone cc in main and dsb in ref the cc is easier to clean...hope that helps