PDA

View Full Version : OT Any experiance with skunks?

one eye
08/26/2003, 06:26 AM
Good Morning, Anyone got a skunk odor remedy?
At 6 this morning Deb let the dog out and he got sprayed....so she LET him in the house!! Of course he tried to rub the stink off of his face...on my couch. I think I'll feed him a nice bowl of zoos.
OK the zoos will take care of the dog any ideas on how to unstink the couch?

jacko
08/26/2003, 06:47 AM
i got sprayed last year, and used soap & the best thing people recommend is tomato sauce, or puree, or concentrate....
good for the dog, but that's gunna leave a stain on the couch. not sure what else to suggest for a couch.

Aneille
08/26/2003, 06:59 AM
Vinegar and water is supposed to work for the smell as well. Maybe a mild vinegar solution will work on your couch too?

When you bathe the dog just make sure you take all the towels of their racks and anything else out of the bathroom that soak up water because when that dog gets out they are going to shake and then everything smells. And then you got to wasah all these towels too! I forgot that once.

No idea what to do for the couch really.

I hate when my dogs get sprayed. Been lucky so far this year but for the last 3 years at least one of my dogs have been sprayed.

It is a pain!

Scuba_Dave
08/26/2003, 07:09 AM
Febreeze maybe? Incense? Maybe that would just cover up the smell.

tstone
08/26/2003, 07:13 AM
For the dog just keep him outside until the smell goes away. As for the couch, well maybe outside o the paorch for a couple weeks.

All the remidies don't really work. Some reduce the smell but thats about it.

Good luck

Aneille
08/26/2003, 07:19 AM
I agree with Tstone that the remedies don't get rid of the smell entirely but they do help a lot in covering it up. If your dog will stay outside for a few weeks then just do that. My dogs would go nuts if I didn't let them in the house.

My dog got it once right in the face. It was actually kind of funny. The skunks in my neighborhood had become pretty tame and were not afraid of the neighborhood animals at all. My dog got out and was chasing around this skunk in the yard for about 2 minutes when the skunked just stopped in the middle of the yard. Now my husband and I are watching and yelling like crazy to get our dog to come back to us but he wouldn't listen. So up my dog goes to the skunk and starts to smell the skunk..well where else do dogs go to smell..yup right at his tail. Well bang right in the face he gets a shot of skunk oil!

My poor dog was gagging, coughing...his eyes were so red and they were bugging out of head head like. I felt pretty bad. Then because we felt bad for him, we hosed him down with really cold hose water!

~Kim

jciwlsn
08/26/2003, 07:36 AM
Uh, I feel for you. One New Year's Eve after I got back from a night of partying around 2:00am, my cat was at the slider waiting to come in. Never noticed until I opened the slider - he came in, started rubbing against my leg, and I froze. His whiskers were LITERALLY dripping wet with the stuff. Kind of funny when I think about it now, poor thing.

Took me a couple of hours with tomato juice....had to trash the towels and my new dress.

His favorite spot on the carpet under my coffee table smelled for MONTHS.....every time the spot got wet (when he came in from the rain), the smell came back.

Good luck :)

Mike Accardi
08/26/2003, 07:47 AM
When our dog got sprayed, we used a mixture of water,
hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dishwashing liquid.
We found the tip on the web somewhere.

Used in the amounts suggested, it worked on the dog.
I'm not sure what to do about the house.

mike

one eye
08/26/2003, 07:51 AM
Oh, He got it right in the face alright, that part I liked!!!

You know why they make boxers heads square?

So the bricks fit inside!

I'm going to wash him outside, but Deb will never let me leave him out there overnight.

I had 2 Goldens for 14 yrs, lived in Candia NH for 5 of those yrs.
Candia is very rural. Took both dogs with me to work (until they decided to retire) I build custum homes so I'm usualy out in the woods somewhere and never once did either of the goldens get skunked. Those are smart dogs.The boxer or boxorocka as I call him well lets just call him intelligence impaired. :lol:

Heavydc2
08/26/2003, 07:57 AM
My dog got sprayed last year, I cleaned him with the normal, vinegar, tomato juice blah blah blah, and it did not work well. So then I looked on the internet and they said to use Duesh, so I went out and felt like a total knob buying it, but tried it and it worked well. the only thing I did not get cleaned was his nose cause I did not want to get any in his eyes. it worked great until it got wet, everytime it was raining or he went swiming you could smell it.

JustDavidP
08/26/2003, 08:30 AM
My dog got sprayed in the face this week too! It must be the season of the skunk. I got her smelling clean ASAP.

Spray the dog down with water, slop some water and white vinegar on them (Keep it from their eyes please) let it stand for a few minutes. Then wash the dog with Joy mild dishwashing detergent. They make one now with orange oil in it. It does wonders and is very mild!

Repeat the process if needed. My Aussie has a long thick coat and I only had to do this twice to get her clean.

I'm sure the white vinegar will work on the couch too. You may want to spray it after with a lysol or something to get the vinegar smell out of it.

Good luck!

<D>

moe_k
08/26/2003, 08:49 AM
Vinergar.... is there anything it can't do??!?

one eye
08/26/2003, 09:07 AM
Vinegar and water works on that crud they get in there ears too.

He hates water..won't even go out when its raining and after it rains and the ground is wet he kinda tip toes around. Big bad *ss boxer very comical.

Orange dishwashing soap! HA, I can't wait to see him trying to rub that scent off him.... hope the stuff works, he really got nailed good. The skunk must of been saving up!

JustDavidP
08/26/2003, 09:22 AM
My Australian Shepherd got a direct hit in the face. Her eyes were bloodshot and bulging! She was running in circles on the grass, dragging her face in the lawn. It looked like Curley from the stooges in one of his cheese fits "Moe, Larry, Cheese!" *L*

I had to toss her collar. I couldn't get the smell out. The orange soap (Joy) is awesome!

Again, good luck!

<D>

Ken2001
08/26/2003, 09:30 AM
Mike said:

"When our dog got sprayed, we used a mixture of water,
hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dishwashing liquid.
We found the tip on the web somewhere."

This is right on. My hound got nailed a few weeks ago by a skunk, so I tried this remedy. It does work, and appears to be more effective than tomato juice and vinegar (luckily, I don't have a lot of experience with this problem - it's only the second time I've had to deal with it).

I believe the proportion of H2O to peroxide is about 50/50. Add a few tablespoons of baking soda, enough to make the concoction foam. Then squirt in a liberal amount of dishwashing soap. Apparently, the peroxide and baking soda are very effective at neutralizing the skunk smell (but not completely effective!), and the soap helps the mixture stick to the animal.

Good luck,

Ken

redpaulhus
08/26/2003, 10:06 AM
I've had good luck with the enzymatic remedies - both Outright (simple solution) brand and Nature's Miracle brand... I've used both companies enzyme formulas for cat urine for years, so I figured it was worth a shot.... had to really soak the dog but they did a good job...
Haven't seen the Outright brand one in a while, but I still see the Nature's Miracle at some of the chain stores...

Keith Sheridan
08/26/2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by redpaulhus
I've used both companies enzyme formulas for cat urine for years,

Anyone else laughing?

Harley387
08/26/2003, 10:49 AM
These are all excellent suggestions, however, my suggestion is to prevent any chance of a second occurance. My own preferred method involves a night vision scope, a high power pellet rifle, and an open can of tuna (cat food works also). But that's just me....:strooper:

denvig
08/26/2003, 10:49 AM
There is a product called “Odor Mute� that you should be able to get at a local pet store. It is a powder that you mix with water. It’s cheep and works pretty good.

one eye
08/26/2003, 11:09 AM
Harley is the rifle for skunks or the dog?

Ken2001
08/26/2003, 11:19 AM
Yeah, but if you shoot it (the skunk), then you have to dispose of it - and I bet they really stink when they're shot.

Ken

creativesmurf
08/26/2003, 12:03 PM
I thought this was a thread about skunk cleaner shrimp, not smelly skunks :):lol:

Harley387
08/26/2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by one eye
Harley is the rifle for skunks or the dog?

The skunk.

Scuba_Dave
08/26/2003, 12:57 PM
Carcass of skunk is easy to get rid of: tie it under someones car you don't like...:lol:

Harley387
08/26/2003, 01:01 PM
I have a small, but well fertilized section of my back yard where the last dozen or so now reside. (Yeah, I had a slight skunk problem).

Bgywrinkle
08/26/2003, 03:53 PM
We have an acquaintance whose father shot a skunk in a town on the Northshore. He was arrested and went to court where the Judge made him do 200 hrs. of public service and fined him. :confused:

Unbelievable!!

So be careful who you tell abt skunk genocide.:D

I've also heard that Nature's Miracle works well for skunk -- It also works well for spot removal on clothing as a pre-wash.

Heavydc2
08/26/2003, 03:59 PM
we had a couple racoon fighting outside our window one night a couple years ago. It was about 2:30 inthe morning, we went out and shot all 3 of them out of a tree, the nighbors heard the fighting, then heard the gun shots a new it was us and all was well:lol:

Harley387
08/26/2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Bgywrinkle
We have an acquaintance whose father shot a skunk in a town on the Northshore. He was arrested and went to court where the Judge made him do 200 hrs. of public service and fined him. :confused:

Unbelievable!!

So be careful who you tell abt skunk genocide.:D

I've also heard that Nature's Miracle works well for skunk -- It also works well for spot removal on clothing as a pre-wash.

Well.....not to get into MA General laws toooo deeply here but....
A pellet rifle is not considered a "firearm", and discharging one in your yard is not illegal. Perhaps he used a gun?

tstone
08/26/2003, 07:44 PM
Harley
The fish and game laws in this state will get you also. There is no open season on skunks.

Don't get me wrong I could care less if you shoot them. Just be careful. Hate to see your coral money go to fines and such

one eye
08/26/2003, 08:59 PM
I am happy to say that the vinegar and water bath was completely hysterical to watch (he was licking it) and worked well too! The orange juice dishsoap left him smelling as fruity as he really is. He hates it, he doesn't smell like a dog. He spent some time rolling and rubbing in the yard but he still smells like an orange peel.

JustDavidP
08/27/2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by one eye
I am happy to say that the vinegar and water bath was completely hysterical to watch

:) Don't they look soo pitiful when they are soaking wet and @#%@#ed off!

Glad it all worked out!

<D>

Scuba_Dave
08/27/2003, 01:05 PM
Reminds me of a friend in NH who had a problem w/raccoons & bird feeder. They would stand up & shovel everything out of it (don't ask me why he didn't raise it. He hooked up a metal mat & wires on birdfeeder (juiced it up w/power). Looked out, saw raccoon, threw the switch. Raccoon didn't budge!!! Cursing he switched power off, and raccoon keeled over, dead.
Poor guy (the raccoon), I would have simply moved the feeder. :(

Skunks can only be hunted by use of a 4 wheeled vehicle at night w/bright lights. Do they have a vinegar selection at the car wash??