PDA

View Full Version : Mag2 replacement suggestions

reefkeeper1
08/24/2003, 07:49 AM
Presently, I have a Mag2 pump rated at 250 gph hooked up to my Myreefcreations CR2 calcium reactor. The pump works fine, except that it has a slow leak. What would be a good replacement pump for the Mag2? I'm mainly interested in consistent startup after a power shutdown and no leakage. The Mag2 pump has 1/2" fpt for its inlet and outlet, but a pump with barbed outlets would also be acceptable. The pumps I've been looking at are the following:

Eheim 1250 - has a 3/4" inlet, but the 1048 doesn't look like it has enough power.

Quiet One 1200 - this one looks really good, and I like the design of this new pump.

myreef
08/24/2003, 08:07 AM
The Eheim 1250 has a 3/4" hose barb, but it has 1/2" threads ....I have made some reactors for Eheim, so you could use that one. It has a 3/8" outlet, but the barb is 1/2" I believe.....

reefkeeper1
08/24/2003, 08:41 AM
Wow. Andy, I'm impressed by your quick response. From your experience, is the Eheim also a quiet and reliable pump? From what I've seen of Eheim products, I assume that's the case. One other thing I don't like about the Mag2 is its distinct hum, and I would appreciate a quieter pump. Have you been able to test the new Quiet One 1200 for your reactors? One big reason is cost since the Eheim 1250 is about three times the cost of the Quiet One 1200. I guess the question is whether the quality and the reliability of the Eheim is worth three times the cost of the Quiet One 1200.

myreef
08/24/2003, 09:28 AM
I haven't tested the Quiet one...I have been playing with Iwaki's on the larger reactors lately and will be firing a new blue line HD 20 up this week on a reactor.

I have had good luck with the MAG's. I am using one now on my home tank. I am also using an Eheim on the office tank, but have had more trouble with it leaking than any MAG I have ever had. I might have just gotten a bad Eheim or I didn't use enough Teflon, which has known to happen. :p

Eheims definitely are good pumps, but I am not sure they are worth what they get for them based on performance.....but that is personal preference. THey are somewhat quieter....you might try putting apiece of neoprene or some thin rubber under the MAg if it is making noise. I always put rubber under my main return pumps so they won't rattle.

What is the Quiet 1's GPH rating? Might be something interesting to try in my "spare" time. :D

reefkeeper1
08/24/2003, 10:40 AM
The specs for the Quiet One 1200 are:

120 volt, 25.5 Watts, 296gph, 6.1 ft max ht

with 1/2" MPT IN / 1/2" Barb OUT

They're only $21.99 at DrsFosterSmith. I think I'll buy one this week, and I'll tell you how it works out with your reactor.

3-year old daughter wanted this face: :o

myreef
08/24/2003, 11:18 AM
Thanks, please let me know how it works out...that could be a great option.... :D Thanks!!

The Aquarist
08/24/2003, 11:23 AM
:D 'SCuse me while I tag along!:D

I'm interested in the results here.

I'm running a Quiet One 4000 as a powerhead in a 220. Very Impressive.

I'm running a Quiet One 6000 externally for circulation on a 125. Equally impressive.

As stated earlier. The price is right too.

Both are very Quiet.

reefkeeper1
09/04/2003, 05:24 PM
The o-ring seal leaks on the 1200 when I hook it up to the CR2. Went back to using the Mag2 which has 4 screws securing its o-ring instead of a screw in locking mechanism on the 1200. From the look of the impeller and motor, the Mag2 also looks a lot more powerful. Mag2 still has a slow leak (maybe I'll get a thicker o-ring), but it's much better than the steady drip I was getting from the 1200. Maybe the pressure on the 1200 from its calcium reactor application is too much for its o-ring design.

The 1200 does look well made though and could work well as a submersible pump or normal external pump use.

The Aquarist
09/04/2003, 05:55 PM
It sounds like the back pressure was too much for both of those. That's not what they were designed for. They are circulation pumps. The Quiet one 4000HH is a high head pressure pump and the 6000 has the screws you were talking about.

The 1200 and the Mag2 are basically small circulation pumps.

greeneyedblackcat
09/04/2003, 05:58 PM
I know how to fix your leak, I had the same problem myself on my kalk reactor, take the four screws out of the impeller housing and remove it, take teflon tape and wind it around pump on the O rings mounting boss (about five times), push the o ring on the boss, its ok if the tape bunches up at the bottom, then just re install the impeller housing.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GEBC

The Aquarist
09/04/2003, 06:02 PM
Smart thinking!

greeneyedblackcat
09/04/2003, 06:07 PM
It works great the Oring just mushes into the teflon tape and seals the pump.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GEBC

The Aquarist
09/04/2003, 06:26 PM
Teflon plumbing tape came to my rescue a few times too. It's good to know it works for this.

reefkeeper1
09/04/2003, 06:36 PM
greeneyeblackcat, if only I had heard about your fix before the past weekend when I put my whole reactor setup back together again! :( Still, thanks a lot for the advice in case I do decide to take it down again and fix the leak! :D I was thinking of putting a thin bead of superglue or silicone around the edge of the outside of the impeller housing, but your solution is a lot better!

greeneyedblackcat
09/04/2003, 07:51 PM
It makes disassembly much easier than other sealants.