PDA

View Full Version : [Q] Is colorful SPS possible under low light?

PupChow
05/15/2001, 08:35 AM
Is it possible to keep SPS and retain their color under anything but MH? Currently I have 110w of white PC lighting and 60w of actinic blue over a 30 gallon tank. I have soft, hard, and a couple SPS which are doing well. The only thing is that most SPS turned brown. Out of the bunch, the P. damcornis and Pink with blueish tips Acro are gaining a flur. green color under actinic light... also the M. capricornis retained its bright orange color and growing really fast. So I guess it can be done to a certain extend.

Some people suggested orange/pink/green montipora digitata (i have purple, it turned brown), green or orange capriconis, acropora yongei (green bali slimer), yellow porties, and hydnophra grandis.

Any suggestions or insights will be greatly appreciated!

Marco
05/15/2001, 11:53 AM
I know most folks believe that MH are the only way to grow SPS and retain color, and I will be the first to admit they are awsome. Personally my wallet doesn't allow me to afford MH. I have 2x96watts PC on my 30gal and I have a brown Montipora with bright pink tips,some type of light colored acro with flourescent green polyps, and a solid blue acro and all have retained nice color and are growing nicely. In my opinion you can have colorful SPS under PC or VHO you just may need to keep them up close to the top to get as much light as possible.

Just my .02

PerryinCA
05/15/2001, 01:12 PM
I agree with marco. Its not the type of lighting thats important as much as the intensity. But, its easier to focus intense light from an MH than it is to get alot of flouro lights.

Great SPS can be had under PC's and VHO's, but you need to make sure you have enough.

-Perry

JohnL
05/15/2001, 02:26 PM
ditto Perry & Marco

Wolverine
05/15/2001, 02:34 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, when Steve Tyree came to talk to our marine society he told us about some lowlight species of SPS that actually have better coloration under low light that they lose under the high intensity light. Unfortunately, I lose the bidding at the auction for some frags of it.

Dave

tubs
05/15/2001, 02:45 PM
Some SPS corals such as Pink/Orange montipora digitata, orange Montipora capricornis, and probably Green Slimer will keep their color under lower lighting.

HTH,

PupChow
05/15/2001, 10:56 PM
Hey thanks! Hrmm, so what are my chances with the current setup if I place everything at the top?

I am really tempted to jump at the Super Green Hydnophora Coral at FFExpress...

Thanks again! I wish there is a list for low light coral!

So far the following have been recommanded multiple times:
Pink Montipora
Orange Montipora
Orange Montipora Capriconis
Green Slimer

Maybe I'll start compiling a list
Thanks!
- Mok-Yi

Callie
05/15/2001, 11:24 PM
I have green Hynophora in my 80 gal with 4 X 96watt PC. I've had it about 7 months, it's kept it's bright green color and grows well. I also have some acro that has retained it's color, its multicolored, pale green and yellow with pink tips, also a dark purple one that is turning greenish.
Kathy