PDA

View Full Version : picking out the perfect anthias

dellrio
08/23/2003, 06:03 PM
i would like to add an anthias of some sort to my 125g reef tank. they have such lovely color and i cannot decide whihc one i want... any suggestions and picts would be swell...
thanks in advance-

sedesh
08/24/2003, 11:39 AM
What reef would be complete without one? My favorite is the sunburst/fathead anthias. Typically a little pricy and I hear not as willing to cohabitate with others, but simply beautiful. If you try another anthias, most sp. do real nice if you get a small school. I also like the purple anthias (purple with an orange stripe along back), not to be confused with the purple queen (all purple).

Sting
08/24/2003, 01:19 PM
I absolutely LOVE Lyretail anthias! My dream tank includes a small school of female lyretails with 1 male, a Hippo/Blue Regal Tang and a Yellow Tang! I think they are so colorful and really awesome- check em out at www.liveaquaria.com and see what you think. They have a big anthias selection at their site.

quantim0
08/24/2003, 01:52 PM
also check out the squarespot. both the males and females are gorgeous. they do get a little big though, between 6-7 in. and you should really only keep one anthias in the tank to diffuse agressive tendencies. i would pass on any of the purple anthias, tuka and pascalus. they are notoriously difficult to keep alive for any lenght of time.

JonL
08/24/2003, 02:57 PM
Lyretails are cool but they are argressive.
Still a great fish even if you do keep dart gobbies

dellrio
08/24/2003, 09:33 PM
hey thanks guys
u all actually mentioned ones i was interested in.. i've always liked the squarespot and fat head a bunch... as well as the purple anthias.. howver i saw a sunburst up close for the frst time at the lfs and it had very dull colors.. not at all like the picts on online ... the lyretail is very pretty.. never really looked at it much.. the female is very pretty... i kinda want to go with maybe bright pink and purple colors.. since i have no fish those colors.

Preds
08/25/2003, 05:28 AM
I have a harem of Diadem Anthias. I like their colours, and in fact there tends to be quite a lot of regional variation in colours.