PDA

View Full Version : 180g Lighting - VHO and MH Question

cem1234
08/23/2003, 07:11 AM
hello all...

I am working on my 180g canopy and I would like to know if someone can give me an idea on my lighting. I already have 2 - 250W MH lights and a TOTAL of 6 - 4' VHO Bulbs (one wiring harness with 4 bulbs another with 2). The reason I have kinda mis-matched equipment is I'm consolidating all my equipment into my new tank.

I KNOW the general idea is to put 3 MH lights on a 180g (6 ft tank), but I would like to do it with the 2. The problem is there is 2 center braces on the tank at 2 ft intervals so I would have to put the bulbs over the braces. I worry about heat and don't want to crack the braces.

Can anyone give me some ideas? Can I put a piece of wood over the brace to block the heat? (I know it would create a shadow, but that might not be bad for some corals...)

- Chuck!

dragon_slayer
08/23/2003, 08:18 AM
i dont think you would get enough heat to worry about the center braces. if you did then the braces would be the least of your worries.

if it was myself, i'd at least pick up another 250w MH and put all 3 in the tank. i just got my 4 250's for my new 180 i was going to go with 400's as all my other tanks use the 400's but i thought id give the 250's a try. i opted for 4 over just 3 becaue i dont think you can ever have to much light. :)

and i dont use supplimental lighting, 2 @ 10KK and 2 @ 20KK on the 180, as for my 75 i use 2 @ 20KK 400w with no supplimental lighting and i like the look and so do my corals.

kc

cem1234
08/23/2003, 11:03 AM
My main reason for going with the two is I was trying not to purchase anything else unless I couldn't get by. I bet your 4 250's are nice!

Anyone else?

- Chuck!

joefish
08/23/2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by cem1234
My main reason for going with the two is I was trying not to purchase anything else unless I couldn't get by. I bet your 4 250's are nice!

Anyone else?

- Chuck!
I don't think you will be happy with the shadow that the braces will create . save your money and invest in the third light you will be much happier in the long run . I have 3 over my 120g 48"x24',
the ends are 250 10k the middle is a 400 20k . I protected the brace by puting the 400 10" above the brace , then I put a cut piece of PVC over the brace to take the uv and heat abuse . when all the lights are on the shadow is barly noticeable , but when the 400w is on alone there is a nasty shadow that drives me nuts .
HTH

cem1234
08/23/2003, 07:51 PM
I might continue on with the two 250's, but your post wasn't in vain. Your idea on using PVC to shield the braces is a stellar idea. And I don't have to do anything to it but buy the right diameter!

Neat Idea Joe! Thanks! I'll see how it looks with the shadow and if I don't like it, I'll buy...

- Chuck!

NewMariner
08/23/2003, 08:00 PM
When I first started my 180g I had 2 400w Radiums on the ends.........It covered the tank well but you could definitely see that it wasnt as bright in the middle where I didnt have a bulb. I then had an extra 175w mh that I just stuck in the middle to get rid of the shadow. It worked.........

Now, after I moved, Im going to change this setup again. I will keep my 400w 20ks on the ends, and get some vhos, to run the length of the tank. That way there wont be any shadows and the center can be used for lps and the ends for sps........

I had my bulbs 12 inches off the top of the water........the center brace over the glass was cool to the touch.........Just use the equipment you have first, and see if you like how it looks. I was thinking about getting a 3rd 400w 20k for the center, but I think Im gonna go with the actinics for a dawn/dusk effect..........

cem1234
08/23/2003, 08:11 PM
I have since thought what I would do is put the metal halides on the ends of the tank and the VHO's in the center. I think I should be ok with that setup...at least for awhile ;)

I messed up with I made the canopy and when it's done, my metals will only be about 10" above the water. I didn't want this...I wanted the extra two inches...

- Chuck!