PDA

View Full Version : O. Solorensis Boxfish in Reef?

joetbs
08/22/2003, 07:27 PM
Anyone have any experience with this fish in a reef setting? I have a mix of LPS/SPS/softies. I know they'll eat Tube Worms, which i don't have a problem with. They only get 4" and are not toxic, so I'm considering getting one as the big fish of my tank. Will they be a problem with inverts(have lots of margarita snails) or anemones(BTAs w. Skunks and crab)

Other fish include:

2 Pink Skunk Clowns
1 Sunrise Dottyback
1 Chalk Bass
1 Garden Eel

I don't plan on adding any larger fish, unless I come across a Tomini tang that wont break the bank. Smaller fish later might include a shoal of Orange Striped Cardinals and a midas blenny. This is a 55g tank.

thanks.
joe

Dragon Moray Eels
08/24/2003, 10:10 PM
They only get 4" and are not toxic

Now in that statement, you couldn`t be any more wrong. There are Boxfish that grows 15" and even larger and they do have a protection toxin when stressed so remove the cause of stress right away or your whole tank be wipe out. And as well their not suited for reef tanks.
Buddy

joetbs
08/24/2003, 11:53 PM
No, O. Solorensis reaches a maximum size of 4 inches. I'm aware that other species of boxfish get larger, but I am not looking to house one of those.

I have not been able to find any reasons why they would be bad for a reef tank other than a) nipping tube worms and b) toxins. These fish live on the reef in the wild, so I am going to try my hand at one if I find a reasonably priced male after I get my tank straightened out.

thanks.
joe

Dragon Moray Eels
08/25/2003, 12:23 AM
There are always risk in home aquariums, but just be sure it has no fish which would cause it any stress and it will eat inverts. And as for our cocky friend here who thinks he knows best, im taking the time to type a post just for you and i hope you can learn better then you are now at that aquarium store. I should have the post for joetbs ready in an hour or so, sorry im a slow typist :D
Buddy

Dragon Moray Eels
08/25/2003, 12:37 AM
O. Solorensis reaches a maximum size of 4 inches

You not mention its name of the species until now, you only said it reaches a size only of 4" ;)

Dragon Moray Eels
08/25/2003, 12:52 AM
Are you the kid in the other forum site under the screen name of SALTY15? If you are i will place that same post im typing now right here at both sites.
Buddy

Dragon Moray Eels
08/25/2003, 12:54 AM
:rolleyes: Sorry i forgot to add this in the first post, i wouldn`t house a Tomini tang in a 55, i would go no lower then a 75 gal tank for it ;)

joetbs
08/25/2003, 12:58 AM
No, I don't post at any other forums with different names. If you read the thread of the title I listed the species name. Also, I don't plan on affording a Tomini anytime soon, so don't worry ;) I have a hard enough time spending $20 on a fish. Just looking for something different for my tank. I'm tired of the false percs, royal gramma, 6 line wrasse combo.

joe

Dragon Moray Eels
08/25/2003, 01:11 AM
Best of luck to you Joe :)
Buddy

Triggerman1964
08/27/2003, 01:17 PM
They will pick on a number of coral species.
I had a helmet boxfish for about a year until he latched on to the raw shrimp I was feeding him.I didn't notice and he ended up on the carpet.
He was my favorite fish that I ever had.I bio permed him and donated him to my local high school science department.
Very,very cool fish.
Very,very,very hard to keep.