PDA

View Full Version : Clown Tangs???

Smitty 750
08/22/2003, 07:24 PM
How are these fish in a reef environment, anyone have one and had any bad things happen to other fish or corals and inverts?? Ive had Naso, and Powder Blue's and Browns but never a clown tang. Thanks in advance.

naesco
08/22/2003, 08:38 PM
Very hard to keep. They are holy terrors if they manage to survive.

Smitty 750
08/22/2003, 09:04 PM
What do they do that makes them so bad, are they more of an aggressive tang like the Powder Blue or are they more passsive like a Naso??

naesco
08/22/2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Smitty 750
What do they do that makes them so bad, are they more of an aggressive tang like the Powder Blue or are they more passsive like a Naso??
IME they rank with a sohol which tends to be totally aggressive.
Other tangs as you know are aggressive, like the powder blue but they are tame next to an adult clown.
I wouldn't consider one for that reason.

wrasse777
08/22/2003, 09:45 PM
i can't remember where i read this info. but i remember reading that in the wild clown tangs have a huge territory and they attack just about anything,including triggers, other tangs, parrotfish,and anything else that they perceive as a threat. i can only imagine how this behavior might be in an aquarium.if i can figure out where i read about this i will post it.my .02

The Aquarist
08/22/2003, 10:10 PM
If the reef you are talking about is the 30 gallon you have listed, I think it will wreak havock in there and die.

They get pretty big besides being aggressive.

Beyond that and no matter what size tank it would go in, it's my understanding there is also a strong cyanide collection issue with these, which means you could pretty much consider it dead when you put your money down for it. Time is limited.

I would research that through the place you order/buy from and/or their supplier before you waste your money.

naesco
08/22/2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by The Aquarist
If the reef you are talking about is the 30 gallon you have listed, I think it will wreak havock in there and die.

They get pretty big besides being aggressive.

Beyond that and no matter what size tank it would go in, it's my understanding there is also a strong cyanide collection issue with these, which means you could pretty much consider it dead when you put your money down for it. Time is limited.

I would research that through the place you order/buy from and/or their supplier before you waste your money.

The point you made on cyanide is correct. Most tangs come from the Philippines and Indonesia where cyanide use is rampant.
IMO one of the reasons why powder blue, clown, achilles and goldrim have such dismal results is that they are cyanide caught.
There ought to be a law.

Smitty 750
08/23/2003, 06:00 AM
Ok so I quess I am not going to get a clown tang, my powder blue reaked enough havoc that is why I traded him in in the first place, how bout Chevron Tangs good bad.

naesco
08/23/2003, 09:03 AM
Chevron would be nice as would a kole which is a really personable fish.