PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse companions/boxfish?

wade
08/22/2003, 02:15 PM
Alright, here's the deal. I am searching for inhabitants to go in my 40 gallon seahorse hex tank. Now, before people start blabbering on about "species only" tanks, I wanna say... go away.

For those with practical experience, please suggest away!

1- I was wondering if a boxfish might be a peacable companion. Would boxfish try to eat the horses? If a horse happened to grab onto a boxfish, would that stress it enough for it to elaborate its toxins and nuke the tank?

2- Other possible inhabitants? The horses are accustomed to feeding from a dish, so they know the drill. Don't have to worry too much about generalized feedings, although I'd still like to keep competition low. Thoughts? 3-4 Rainfordi? Goby/prawn (hope the prawn hides well)? Other?

Thanks!
Wade

GinaSofia
08/22/2003, 02:27 PM
I had a mandarin in w/mine and since they are both slow eaters there wasn't much competing for food.Don't know about a boxfish, don't they eat like pigs?

MarinaP
08/22/2003, 02:42 PM
Seahorse.org has a list of compatible species. Here is the link
http://www.seahorse.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=14&t=4660&

I keep a mandarin and red scooter dragonet.

technoshaman
08/22/2003, 04:25 PM
I have a single Rainfordi in my 215. Great little fish but they have issues long term in feeding being predominantly substrate sifters - might end up starving in a 40 hex unless it's very mature. They also do well in small groups.

A watchman goby would do fine , a symbiotic pistol would be fine too but careful - I have an Alpheus soror pistol shrimp that never paired up with my yellow watchmen and was a real terror in the tank digging endlessly, knocking stuff over and harassing fish and shrimp - I had tried to get him out before my tuskfish went in. He eluded me so in the tusk went, 9 months later when moving the rock I find him bigger than ever and still feisty!

kovu
08/22/2003, 04:56 PM
I've kept a scooter blenny, watchman gobie, and a firefish all with my seahorse's. All were very peaceful.