PDA

View Full Version : Shark Attack!!!!!!!

tanku
08/21/2003, 07:31 PM
on tues there was a shark attack in avila beach ca, the 50 yr old woman was swimming about 75 yards off the beach and was also swimming with a group of seals when she was attacked by a shark and died from her wounds. local experts are saying it was a 15 foot great white. today they found a half eaten seal in the same area. one lesson learned here is not to swim with seals when sharks may be around.

JazzMan
08/21/2003, 07:34 PM
It's horrible the woman died, but the first thing that would come to my mind if I saw a group of seals of the Cali coast, would be a shark.

tanku
08/21/2003, 07:37 PM
she was also wearing a wet suit, and fins.

kevlouie
08/22/2003, 08:08 AM
A test bite from a 15 foot GW will kill you. The shark was probably just as surprised as she was. She had to know the risks, very sorry to hear this though, just don't blame the shark, its doing what it is supposed to be doing.

sharpy98
08/22/2003, 08:34 AM
No doubt, I would have went after her if I was shark!!!! Big clumsy seal that can not swim very well EASY MEAL....... Will people ever learn to be aware of who's yard they are playing in....

treefrog
08/22/2003, 11:58 AM
Yes, a very sad event, and as mentioined, this is a risk of swimming in the ocean. Reports confirm the swimmer knew this, and, she loved the ocean. The local reaction is balanced, albeit cautious and concerned.

Crevalle
08/22/2003, 12:36 PM
She must have had a death wish.

kaiyokanman28
08/22/2003, 01:30 PM
I heard about this event and was seriously considering nominating her for a Darwin Award. It's a shame that it happened, but you definitely need to think about that for a second. The fact that sea lions aren't the friendliest bunch of creatures in the world to begin with could have gotten her hurt, and she probably knew that Great Whites have a taste for seals just doesn't scream "Hey! I know...I did dolphins last year, let's do sea lions THIS year! YEAH!"

Though I HAVE always wanted to see a Great White in the wild. At least...from inside a shark cage.

Cheers!

Andy :wildone:

tyoberg
08/22/2003, 01:38 PM
People that dress like shark food and swim with shark food give sharks a bad name.

jimwat
08/22/2003, 04:06 PM
tyoberg said - People that dress like shark food and swim with shark food give sharks a bad name.

Exactly!!! Definitely a Darwin candidate!!