PDA

View Full Version : Fish compatibility

robitreef
08/21/2003, 05:22 PM
I have a small reef tank with a false-percula clown and a bicolor dottyback. I wanted to add a third fish to this tank, but I do not know what might survive the onslaught of these two. Let me tell you that I did have a six line wrasse and a male blue damsel that were pestered to death by these fish. The damsel was actually fine for awhile (had him for almost a year), but the clown decided to adopt a candy can coral colony as a sorrugate anemone and would always attack the damsel when he swam near and at feeding time.

Both of the fatalities were of smaller size then the other two current inhabitants. According to the reefkeeping online magazine the six line should be a safe tankmate with either two of these fish. I know he used to be fine with the clown, but after the dottyback was introduced it was curtains for the wrasse. Does anyone have a Six line that lives well with a dottyback? How about 4 line wrasses? I know they are a little larger then six lines. Does anyone think it would work if the Wrasse or Damsel were the largest fish in the tank?

Wolverine
08/22/2003, 09:03 AM
How big is the tank?

Are you sure that it was the clownfish and dottyback that did it? Between those two, my money would be on the dottyback. Either way, is it possible that something else in the tank was doing the damage?

Dave

robitreef
08/22/2003, 11:50 AM
Tank is a 16 gal (nano reef). I had seen the clown attack the blue damsel, and he was especially aggressive during feeding. I never saw the dottyback attack the damsel, but I'm sure it had happened as well. The clown was the first introduced fish, so he pretty much owns the tank. When I had the wrasse he and clown never picked at each other. When the dottyback was introduced the wrasse went after him for a few days but then the dottyback turned and killed the Wrasse. I actually lost the dottyback after I had to move the tank this past May, and I purchased another one. He is a little smaller then the last bicolor, but obviously just as mean. Therefore my original question still at hand: Do you think, if I find a larger specimen of damsel or wrasse, am I pressing my luck?

Actually the reason I am askiing about these two fish, is because I am looking for something that has some blue color. I was told a flame angel might be o.k. (as they have some blue on their hind quarters), but I don't want to risk having it nip at my coral. A Hepatus tang was an option, but seeing that they can attain a large size, it would seem cruel to put one in such a small tank.

Sting
08/22/2003, 04:54 PM
You ahve a lot of fish in your tank- I can't even imagine you had all four of those in the first place! If you get any more- you definitely shouldn't get a Flame Angel! Look into really small fish- like a Clown or Neon Goby!

robitreef
08/23/2003, 01:10 PM
I usually had three fish in my tank. The damsel was purchased after the death of the wrasse.

Wolverine
08/26/2003, 09:01 AM
In a tank that size, you're going to be pushing your luck no matter what you add. A larger damsel will probably be able to survive longer in the short term, but that might not seem so good as it grows and kills the other fish.

Yes, it would definitely be cruel to put a blue tang in that tank. I'd also suggest passing on the flame angel (or any other angel that I can think of, for that matter). The neon goby that Sting mentioned would be a good choice, since you're set on the blue color.

Dave