PDA

View Full Version : do foxface eat coral

drgriff
08/20/2003, 02:24 PM
I added a longtenticle toadstool on saturday and a foxface on monday. They were bought at different stores. I was told that the foxface would eat algae and brine shrimp only, but today I caught him either eating or picking on my long tenticle toadstool. Is this normal? My partners wife bought the fish without asking me first and I had no time to do research. If he is going to eat my tenticles, I will take him back.:mad:

chillyfishie
08/20/2003, 06:47 PM
Foxface rabbitfish will eat a lot more than brine shrimp and algae. They will destroy feather duster worms and pick at some corals. You have to be careful with these guys. Fantastic fish...but not entirely reef safe.

EdKruzel
08/21/2003, 11:54 AM
The foxface is a safe fish for the reef. As with any fish you have to provide foods that fit its needs.
Almost any living animal will adapt to alien nutrients when hungry and its survival instincts kick in.

Another problem with fish nipping corals and clams comes from their desire or like of detritus based nutrients. This is common in many dwarf angels but includes many other families of fish as well.
When new corals (or sick and diseased) are placed in the tank the stress causes a defensives condition where that particular piece will create excess mucus. This slimy coating on the coral is a tasty treat to many sea creatures.

As we are all aware, not too many of our fish practice proper table manners. When they begin to eat the slime they're not too concerned if they damage the living tissue of the host.

Feed at least twice a day with a good variety of foods throughout the week. This fish will leave your new coral alone soon.

Good Luck,
Ed

ecugman
08/21/2003, 02:24 PM
My foxface has been a model citizen. I would give it a few days as long as the foxface is not causing any damage, it's probably just feeling out it's new tank.

Typo
08/22/2003, 12:51 AM
my foxface ate my zenia after i moved it(thank god!) and next it ate my blue and green open brain. he hasnt touched anything since.