PDA

View Full Version : Mandrian?

nbd13
08/19/2003, 11:56 AM
hey guys sorry to intrude here i have a quick question i have a 70 reef and would love mandrain, i knwo they are dificult and hard ot keep. but how long should i wait before my system is mature? i do haev a fuge to help with pods, isnt that a must for these fish? thanks! also the tank mates will inclued a pair of ocellaris, 2 neon gobies, 1 purple firefish, 1 yellow tang, 1 sixline, and the mandrain. i have abotu 125 punds of LR. and a 5 inch DSB made out of southdown. ok let me know thanks!

Nick

Nick

ChasingPuck
08/19/2003, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't try it. The 6-line will outcompete the mandarin for pods, easily. Even with supplemental feedings, mandarins need a good 9 months of easy access to lots of food--they hunt and eat all day long as juveniles. With something big competing for those pods, I think the mandarin will have a hard time making it.

nbd13
08/19/2003, 01:42 PM
no sorry i mean a flasher wrasse NOT the sixline. haha sorry for the mix up.

Nick

nbd13
08/19/2003, 01:42 PM
so i do not think the flasher wrasse will compete with the mandrain do you? thanks!

Nick

oz
08/19/2003, 01:49 PM
I would add some pods and detrivores, IPSF, Inland Aquatics, etc, give it some time to multiply.

nbd13
08/19/2003, 02:11 PM
yep i am doing that too i am getting th ekits from ispf.com and inlandaquatics.com. so you think i can have a mandrain in about another 4 to 5 months? or what thanks? do they do better in pairs or could i just get one? thanks!

Nick

oz
08/19/2003, 02:48 PM
4-5 months may be, I would observe to see if you have pods everywhere or not. I have a pair (male/female) myself.
I would recommend you add them one at a time, perhaps female first. Make sure you don't get sunken belly due to lack of pods etc. They do eat all day.
I say go with just one first.

nbd13
08/19/2003, 04:59 PM
ok also what kind of prepared foods do they eat. i know its hit or miss with them eating prepared food, but what would they eat if they do.

ok i will try a female first. about how much should i pay for a good one? thanks!

Nick

nbd13
08/19/2003, 05:00 PM
also the flasher wrasse shouldnt be a problem should it? thanks!

Nick

The Aquarist
08/19/2003, 05:37 PM
Additional Research:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1604831#post1604831&

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/mandarins.htm

nbd13
08/19/2003, 05:50 PM
hey great reads thanks!

any other thoughts or comments? thanks!

Nick

oz
08/19/2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by nbd13
ok also what kind of prepared foods do they eat. i know its hit or miss with them eating prepared food, but what would they eat if they do.

ok i will try a female first. about how much should i pay for a good one? thanks!

Nick

Mine wasn't eating anything but pods for a year then one day I was amazed to se him chomping on Formula 2 fronzen food. Go figure. I think I paid like $12 each for my Mandarin, at LFS, it was cheap.

Zepplin
08/19/2003, 09:51 PM
nbd13-Might I suggest you seek out flameangel? She has a long history caring for mandarins. She is a very nice woman, and I'm sure she'd be happy to talk about her experiences. As I recall, her mandarins do eat frozen food, and her female recently gave birth. Though I don't know if she had any success with the fry. She may be able to give you lots of helpful hints. Did you consider PMing her?

-Meg :)

JonL
08/19/2003, 09:59 PM
Mine eats blood worms and brime shrimp

It eat maybe two pieces of mysis siince I got it

I have 3 fish and I already think that's to much

It will eat those big bugs if it's hungry enough but they really can't find food all that well (even when you put it directly in there face's )

Unfortunitly when I first got It I never really tried frozen so I don't know how it will go for you sorry

nbd13
08/20/2003, 02:49 PM
hey yeah i already talked to flame angel about it shes great and has excelent information!

thanks everyone i think i will wait for my tank to mature for about 4-5 months to make sure i can see alot of pods, and get LS activators formt he places mentioned above! thanks so much!

Nick