PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Tangs "Dulse"

TulsaReefer
08/16/2003, 11:19 PM
While in the local health food store I ran across a seaweed product called "Dulse"my new Purple Tang seems to like. It's some sort of Atlantic coast red colored seaweed, closely related to kelp. Has anyone else tried this, or does anyone know of any problems with it?

The product is "certified organic", so hopefully it doesn't have any harmful residue on it (it's at least edible for humans). It works well as it's dried but still a bit soft so you can pull the leaves apart without them breaking. And as it's made up of leaves a few inches long they are pretty easy to put on a clip and leave in the tank. And unlike Nori which is chopped, this being full leaves seems to stay together pretty well (I left some in the tank overnight and it was fine the next day). My new Purple Tang which is quarantine really likes it so far, even more than Nori and other types of seaweed products I’ve tried. Wasn’t too expensive either, a two ounce bag was under $5.00, and looks like it will last quite a while.

Laura D
08/20/2003, 01:57 PM
I have used Dulse in the past and my fish liked it. The stuff I had was shredded and dried, so I used it as an ingredient in homemade fish food.

I would have liked to have found the whole stuff!