PDA

View Full Version : Tank raised flame angels

BrianD
08/15/2003, 11:00 AM
My LFS is getting some this weekend (about $100), and I see that some of the online dealers are carrying them. That is a great development! Hopefully those who are tempted to by a dwarf angel will pay the extra price and buy tank raised. In the long run, I bet most pay less buying one tank raised than buying several wild-caught before one survives.

Brian

kevlouie
08/15/2003, 01:57 PM
Aside from better survivability rate, you think they will be less likely to pick at corals, or is it still about 50/50? Anyone with experience with these?

BrianD
08/15/2003, 02:01 PM
Good questions.

Wheeldog63
08/15/2003, 02:39 PM
Does anyone know where these angels are coming from?? I am yet ot hear of successful rearing of pygmys for commercial sell. last thing, are they tank raised as in been bred in a tank or are they caught in a larval stage and reared from there?

vester_72
08/15/2003, 02:42 PM
What pet store do you go too?

I grew up in Champaign - now am in Chicago but would drive a couple hours for a tank raised Flame.

BrianD
08/15/2003, 03:01 PM
Sailfin is suposed to be getting some in. I would have to think that Old Town or one of the other larger fish stores in Chicago would be getting them.

vester_72
08/15/2003, 03:07 PM
Haha - I used to love Sailfin.

My favorite store growing up.

Thanks for the info - I'll check out some stores aroung here - if not I may make a trip to see some friends and get a Flame from John @ Sailfin.

Thanks,

Jason

Zepplin
08/16/2003, 03:03 AM
You won't often see me post a link to this website, but I did happen to notice an advertisement for tank-raised flames on FFE. Heres a link for all interested...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1644&cc=1

-Meg

Preds
08/16/2003, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by Wheeldog63
Does anyone know where these angels are coming from?? I am yet ot hear of successful rearing of pygmys for commercial sell. last thing, are they tank raised as in been bred in a tank or are they caught in a larval stage and reared from there?

I read an article about 'aquacultured' Flames, and IIRC they weere being raised by mistake initially, on commercial fish farms in Hawaii. Could be wrong on the details, but they're definitely being captive bred and raised somewhere.

ReeferMac
08/16/2003, 03:24 PM
Nope, you're right Pred's, read the same article!
Some guy in Hawaii, trying to rear some food source fish (I want to say Mahi Mahi?). Turned out he couldn't get larvae from the particular fish he was trying to breed, but the characteristics were very similar in pygmy angel larvae (which oddly enough, he could get!). Soo...... Long story short, they now are able to breed and grow out Flame Angels and some other selected kinds of pygmy's. I don't know if commercial viability is there yet (price difference between wild caught is too great), but nonetheless, it's a huge step forward. Prior to this research, I don't think anyone got pygym angels past 14 days. Turns out the lynch pin was a food source for that critical time period when they go through a metamorphoses.

- Mac

ReeferMac
08/16/2003, 04:13 PM
Here's a couple Article's I found on it while bored at work today:

http://starbulletin.com/2002/01/23/news/story5.html

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2002/Jan/23/ln/ln17a.html

- Mac

wildstar
08/30/2003, 02:09 PM
Here's (http://www.oceanicinstitute.org/news&info/04flameangelfish.html) a link i found in another post regarding research on captive breeding.
Cheers

Hemmie
08/30/2003, 09:08 PM
I have one and the thing I've noticed (besides the price) is that it's brighter and "more orange" than the wild caught ones I see.

Really beautiful and adjusting well.

TrippingBilly
08/30/2003, 09:23 PM
Hey Hemmie, did you get your's locally (in NY) or online?
TB

Hemmie
08/31/2003, 03:20 AM
Here at my LFS. She had 2 and when I went by the tank I kind of did a double take. I thought maybe she had changed the lights or something, it was such a dark, deep orange/red.

The card said Flame Angel but it had a name before it, like "Hemmies Flame Angel" (heh) type thing.

It makes my Clowns loook anemic.:D :D and I thought they were about the brightest orange you could get!

I could get a pic but I don't think it would look any different than a wild caught in a picture. She lost the other one, it actually jumped. I went in a few days later and saw it dead at the bottom. She had tried to save it but no go.:(

kris4647
08/31/2003, 04:06 AM
Try this link (http://www.rcthawaii.com/index.html).

Tank raised pair of Interruptus is $1700! Supposed to be reef safe. I'm droolin, but how can I explain that to the little Mrs?

victorology
08/31/2003, 04:23 AM
i just purchased a flame angel the other day from my lfs in hawaii. i wonder if mine was captive bred. they seriously have at least 40 flame angels at my lfs and i checked out every one before settling on one. seems to me a lot of flame angels for one store but we are surrounded by the pacific ocean where i'm at and they do have about 40 yellow tangs there, too.

oh, and i used to shop at sailfin when i was at the u of i from 99-03. i was born and raised in hawaii so i came back home, though.

ReeferMac
08/31/2003, 06:39 AM
Hey Victor, back on the rock I see! How's the tank coming?

- Mac

Louis Z
09/01/2003, 01:37 AM
Captive bred from several in Hawaii, Frank Baensch at Reef Culture Technology, and also from Black Pearls inc.