PDA

View Full Version : bluethroat triggers and a bta

vlamingi3
08/14/2003, 08:53 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Blue throats in a reef with anemones and soft corals like xenia or mushrooms or anything similiar. Mine are very docile but I dont know if they have a taste or a desire to kill an anemone. Any help woluld be appreciated.
Thanks

Morbo
08/14/2003, 10:56 PM
I wouldn't even think about putting any Trigger, puffer, file or boxfish in a reef tank. however thats not to say it hasn't been done before with sucess. Bluethroats are easy going and pretty peaceful (for the most part). This would be a better judgement call on your part as you know the fishes temperment. It might not eat any polyps but goodbye ornamental shrimp!

Donovan
08/15/2003, 01:27 PM
I had a bluejaw in with a huge BTA, it never touched it. It was difficult to feed sometimes because the trigger liked to sneak in and snatch the food from it. Had to keep him away with a wooden spoon until the BTA could swallow the food!

I got rid of the BTA and my maroons because the big female kicking sand everywhere and knocking off all my SPS frags...
You would be fine with the bluejaw, sargassum, crosshatch...

Donovan
08/15/2003, 01:30 PM
it will be fine with the shrimp as well...by the way, can you post some pics of your bluethroat pair? I am thinking of getting a female but haven't seen very many decent pictures of 'em...

vlamingi3
08/15/2003, 05:48 PM
I have a pepperment shrimp in the tank and the triigers never even look at them. Yeah I can get some pics by next week end the female is not as attractive but looks cool swimming with the male. SHe has black tail instead of yellow and does not have the blue jaw so shes basically a big grey trigger with blue eyelids.
They are my favorite personally.

Donovan
08/15/2003, 07:28 PM
I have seen a couple of pics of male/females together and they always seen to swim side by side. Do yours pretty much stick together all the time? this is kinda what I am looking for.