PDA

View Full Version : Slim Fast...

aLittletank
05/10/2001, 09:14 AM
Hey reefers as some of you may remember I quit smoking last summer. After a brief relapse this holiday season I am still smoke free. :)

This summers project is weight loss. :eek:

After 4 years of sales (read- fast food and no exercise)
and
quitting smoking (read- candy, fast food and anything else to keep the mind off the evil cigs ;) )

I figure I need to drop about 35 pounds. :( Have any of you had success with Slim fast? I started 2 days ago and can see where it will change the way you think about eating. I am so used to eating at 7am 12pm and 6pm everyday. on this diet you skip two meals and replace them with the nutritious, delicious shake :rolleyes:

on another note I was considering a moderate vegetarian diet for a permanent diet. (vegetarians always look so skinny :) ) this would be though at first because I love a thick med-rare steak

so any pointers on diets and weight loss?

Thanks
Allen

Staceon
05/10/2001, 10:21 AM
Hey Allen,

Food taste better now huh?LOL. I really do not worry one bit about diets, I just exercise regulary. My wife and I go before work in the mornings. About 1/2 hour to 45 minutes of free weights and than a 15 minute swim.

I can kind of think of this whole thing in terms of reefing. Meaning what goes in must come out, the import/export balance. Personally I concentrate on the export or excrise and just eat small meals through out the day. I certainly do not watch what I eat.

I admit that getting up a 5:45 in the morning just to roll over and go the gym really is not fun. But the whole day does feel better. Not trying to belittle any type of diet programs, they obviously work for some, just not for me.

Now my wife has tried a bunch of different diets(including slim fast) and pills. Now that I got her in the gym on a long range plan she no longer takes any of that stuff. Which I think is great, but she still has issues and it very difficult for her.

P.S. Good to see ya back in the lounge.:)

hesaias
05/10/2001, 11:25 AM
Hey man
I know what you are going through. I got a book for ya!
"32 days to a 32 inch waist"
The name is a misnomer, it doesnot gaurentee 32" waiast in 32 days, however it does teach you to eat like you have some sense, somthing I had never done, and exercize(free weights)
If you send me your snail mail addy via e-mail, Ill hook you up. Ive got 2 copies.
Its a good book, and has a menu plan, thats easy and made from normal food, and helps you keep the weight off.
Slim-fast is a waist of time and money IMO

Mark
05/10/2001, 01:27 PM
Being in a cube all day and eating out during lunch created a need to lose some weight. Like Staceon, I feel that exercise is the best way to maintain your weight. Starving your body with diets, will only make it stock up on reserves when you return to your original diet(i.e. fat). So the best course is to reduce you caloric intake and exercise so that your caloric demand meets your caloric supply. I don't have time or the willpower to exercise in the morning, and the traffic down here is so bad that it's hard to get around after work. So my GF and I invested in a Elliptical machine. It was pricey, but now I can come home and exercise in front of the tube, and not have to worry about traffic. So instead of monthly gym payments, we are paying of the elliptical machine in monthly payment. It equals about the same as a gym membership, but in 10 months we are done paying for it and from then on the exercise is free.:D

Autumn
05/10/2001, 02:59 PM
Like the other folks have said... exercise. That's better than anything you can get in a can.

I walk and do the gym-thing to use their weight machines (I prefer them to free weights since a weight machine has never "escaped" from me with a window-shaking clang and rolled across the floor-)...

I wouldn't call what I eat a "diet" exactly (Life is too short not to have a sticky-bun once in awhile), but I do keep a wary eye on the calories, fat grams, and processed sugar.

Thus far... It's gone well.

I'm not all that much lighter scales-wise than I was when I started six months ago (muscle is heavier than fat, remember-) but I'm definitely in better shape, and there are muscles showing up where there weren't before. And more muscle mass means more calories burned, even when you're sitting in your office!

aLittletank
05/10/2001, 03:17 PM
OK ok I am going to start an exercise program as well. it is one of those things that I hate to do but of course i know it is needed just as much (if not more) than the diet.

running is out of the question as my knees protest against it. maybee once I drop a few pounds they could handle it. ;) swimming is do-able though.

last summer Dave from Gurnee Il quit smoking with me. Anyone want to shed some poundage with me this year?

My tagret is 4 wasted pairs of size 32 levis gathering dust in my dresser. I figure that is about 30-35 pounds away

TTYL
Allen

BTW Staceon I havent reealy left the lounge. i check in daily. I just havent had much to say lately. ;)

hcs3
05/10/2001, 03:23 PM
your a size 32 waist and you want to loose weight? man 'o man. i passed a 32 waist in 8th grade :)

good luck

henry

aLittletank
05/10/2001, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by hcs3
your a size 32 waist and you want to loose weight? man 'o man. i passed a 32 waist in 8th grade :)

good luck

henry

no no no 32" is the target

I have balloned up to a 36" in recent years. I am only 5'7" so the whole bowling ball look is not really what I am going for. :D

Allen

Staceon
05/10/2001, 03:43 PM
Hey Allen,

I know working out can really stink, but its the only way to keep the weight off for good. I worked-out 5 days a week for about 10 years, than stopped complety for 2 years. Just last year got back into it. Once you get past a certain point is becomes a ritual as compared to a habit, which is much easier to get yourself into.

Its doesn't take much, just 20 minutes a day will get you where you want to go if you stick with it along aside a sensible diet. Just walk and do some sit ups. I was amazed how much walking alone took out of me when I first got back into everything. Also cutting out meals after 8 or 9 at night and decreasing you caffine intake can have postitive rewards.

Good luck!

grafxguy
05/10/2001, 03:52 PM
Allen, I have something for you to look into. I am on the Body for Life plan. You can get the book at any bookstore. It is on the Best Sellers list. The author is Bill Phillips the founder of EAS sporting supplements. I have three friends who have done the program and have all lost at least 30 lbs. I am on week 4 of a 12 week plan. To date I have already lost 13 pounds and an inch and a half in my waist. The shakes that they recomend (EAS products) are called Myoplex. They are unbelievable. They don't tast like those crappy Slim Fast vitamin shakes. If you need any more info go to the site and check it out. http://www.bodyforlife.com/ It is a very good plan and it works. If you have any other questions about the plan feel free to contact me. I am so motivated about it I could talk anyone into it. Oh by the way he offers a $100,000 prize for a winner to change their body and mental mindset. Check it out and contact me!
eric

[Edited by grafxguy on 05-10-2001 at 04:59 PM]

Wolverine
05/10/2001, 05:04 PM
I'll jump in here with my thoughts on the subject. My cousin here is a personal trainer and got her masters in exercise science, so I talk to her a lot about these things.

The most efficient way to burn fat is to build muscle; and the most efficient way to do that is to lift weights. Now, this won't necessarily take the weight off, as Autumn mentioned, but it will burn fat, which is really more important than the actual numbers.

And I can talk about this from a personal perspective. For the last 8-9 years I had stayed within ten pounds of a certain weight. No matter what I did I couldn't gain or lose weight. Then at the beginning of this third year I went through my internal medicine and surgery rotations. During that time we have long hours, so we were too tired to work out, and we would eat whenever we got a chance and whatever was on hand, which usually meant the pizza or lasagna that drug-reps brought. By the end of those rotations, I was up over 30 pounds from the weight I had always kept, and none of it was good weight.

Once those rotations ended though, I had a lot more time, and a lot less free crappy food. Within 2 months I had taken 20 pounds back off, and that's where I am now. So it ends up that I'm 10# heavier than before, but it's where I was trying to get from the beginning, and I'm a lot stronger than I was then. More importantly, I've got my body fat back down to a little below what it was before this year started. I still have a little more redistribution of weight to do, but I'm getting there.

To get this loss, here's what I've done; I alternate my work-outs. On one day I would use the Nordic Track (good for those of us with bad knees and such), and on the other days I would lift free weights. For most of that time we just had 2 25# free weights, with which I can do almost everything I need. I also stopped eating all the crap I was eating before. I fit in basketball when I can.

Of, and about the original question of the Slim Fasts. During the time that I was gaining weight, I was drinking those. I just ended up still being hungry, eating when I got a chance (because in surgery you don't know when your next meal will come), and so my caloric intake was way up. This is pretty common for people on slim fast, since they get it in their head that by drinking slim fast they will lose weight, but end up eating more through out the day. When I started losing weight, I had stopped drinking them.

One thing to warn you about though, if you go the working out route is that it's really addicting. I used to be addicted to it, and then I fell out in "the bad months," but now I'm totally addicted again. My wife and I both get pretty irritable if we've gone 3 or 4 days without working out. But we feel a lot better overall.

Dave

nk57
05/10/2001, 08:09 PM
Hi Allen,

My husband has just lost 18 pounds on the modified Slimfast plan. He too had quit smoking and bubbled up to 235lbs. And even thoughe he is 6'4" he was just too darn fat. So this is what he is doing. A light breakfast, a Slimfast for lunch and a smaller portion dinner. He is not a great exerciser but I am making him walk about a mile every evening after dinner. ( I just put a dogs leash in his hand every evening around 7). Good luck!

Nancy

johnny
05/11/2001, 07:41 AM
I'm going to agree with dave on a few points.

The first would be don't try eating less if your weak-minded! (like me) You'll just end up eating more without realizing it. Instead, watch what you eat and drink water!!! no soda, no juice, just water.

Exercise! It is addictive but it makes you feel SO much more energetic throughout the day. Since I've started my new job I have stopped and I'll tell you.... I really feel it. I go back to school in 3 months and already have two people to work out with. That's the other thing.... try to find someone to do it with you, IT IS MUCH EASIER TO GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND GET TO THE GYM IF SOMEONE IS GOING WITH YOU!!!

Good luck everyone!

Nick

Hippity dippity
05/11/2001, 08:22 AM
congrats on being smoke free. As far as diet I find that what makes me lose some pounds without increasing my activity (though I am already a very active person) is eating like I normally do just eat less each time.

A friend of mine at work has lost 30lbs by just not eating as much at one sitting. He still eats all the same foods as before though.

HTH,
Hippity Dippity
(That's what they call it where I come from)

Autumn
05/11/2001, 02:42 PM
Dave's right... it's addictive. If you get used to doing the exercise-thing and have to stop for awhile you'll miss it... even though you might still hate it while you're there.

I have a very love-hate relationship with the gym, but the good that it does for the bod definitely outweights the awful outfit and the sweat.

Puffer Daddy
05/11/2001, 03:22 PM
I had to let you all in a a little secret....
When I was in the 8th grade I weighed 180 and no fat. High school football, 240 college football 265 and ever since, 280. I have a big frame (6'2'')and always carried my weight well. But I started to put on more and couldn't keep from it. Got up to 340!!!!!!(37) My doctor was concerned and did a blood test and it turns out I had a thyroid problem. took meds but couldn't take the weight off. Well, my mom is a distributor (sp-typing fast so exuse the mistakes) for GNLD who is without doubt the top of the health and fitness world. They came out with a cutting edge wieght loss program called GR2. What this does is work with the glycimic response in the body. What happens is when your body gets too much sugars, your pancreas produces insulin to counteract the sudden atack. What happens is we end up on a rollercoaster ride which causes our pancreas to work too much, producing way too much insulin. When the insulen is in the system, our bodies convert carbs/sugar to fat instead of using it!!!! This rollercoaster ride has led to a epidemic of type 2 diabetes in our nation (did you know we eat a average of 150lbs of sugar a year). I personaly know of 2 diabetics whos insulen shots have dropped 2/3ds due to this program. I have been on this program for 7 weeks and have lost 23 lbs without flinching. Whats neet about this is it trains your body to start using it's fat reserves thus, making it easier to keep the weight of after. Take a look at the ingredients of slim fast. I believe frutcose is almost #1 on the list. difficult to train your body when its taking in that much sugar!! You do have to watch your carb. intake (no processed carbs, t0o easy for your body to break down thus converting to fat). Hey, if you knew me you would know that I'm "guys guy". Weight loss is something that doesn't impress me but this does. Oh, my wife lost 30.lbs and is looking fine :D
On another note, my uncle had a heart attack and he's 2 years older than me. with my weight and eating habits i was scared. I got on the gnld heart program and my tiglyserites (sp) droped like a rock along with my cholesteral. My good cholesteral has skyrocketed. Needless to say, I sleep better.
Well, I know this is long and is more of a testimonial but just wanted to let others know about it. Im not BS anyone. Check it out. mail me if you want. Just want people to be healthy.
Now.....ANYONE HAVE IDEAS ON QUITTING SMOKING!!!!!!

Canadian
05/11/2001, 06:25 PM
This is basically what I study at school so I'll make a quick comment here.

You've been getting some good advice.

Increase water intake. This can help to replace that psychological addiction with the hand-mouth movement from smoking, in addition to the other obvious benefits.

Exercise is important becuase it will serve to increase your basal metabolic rate i.e. weight training will increase muscle mass and as a result you'll simply burn more calories doing nothing but carrying out the most basic of daily activities.

Don't take shakes, powders or pills as dietary supplements. These kinds of dietary modifications don't lead to reasonable life long habits. Eat a well balanced diet (according to whatever American body it is that publishes a food guide like our Canadian one - http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hppb/nutrition/pube/foodguid/foodguide.html) It's no secret to dieticians that this is the BEST diet for the average person. But idiots like Dr. Atkins like to make some really asinine claims despite the fact that they defy several laws of thermodynamics.

Most importantly you have an intrinsic motivation for your proposed health plan. Typically recommendations made by doctors to unhealthy patients don't lead to any long term modification, but you have made this decision based on your personal desires and that will go a long way in motivating you to stick with it.

And low carb diets are just another stupid fad that have little to no scientific basis and are totally useless and inappropriate for your average person.

[Edited by Canadian on 05-11-2001 at 07:31 PM]

PerryinCA
05/11/2001, 06:26 PM
Well, personally I am against all those glycemic diets. Research has shown that most people who use those diets gain it right back. THere is much more to getting fit (which should be the goal, not losing weight) than changing what you eat.

As mentioned above, building muscle is the best way to increase your basal metabolic rate (the amount of calories the body burns throughout the day). The only way to do that (other than taking illegal ergonomic drugs) is to apply a stressor to your muscles, which will make them grow. That stressor is of course, weights. Doing it correctly takes time, and discipline. Anytime you lose more than 2 pounds a week on a given diet, its gaurenteed that you are losing muscle as well as fat. That in turn further lowers the bodies metabolism, causing what is commonly referred to as the "yo-yo" effect. You lose weight, and gain it right back, sometimes gaining more than you had before.

The trick to losing weight is to exporting more than you are importing (as said before). This can be done by dieting, by excersise, or a combination of the two (which is the best). Fad diets are garbage. None are effective long term in their directed form. One of the worst among them is likely the ketogenic diet (carb-free). Carbohydrates are essential to body metabolism (especially brain function) and that can throw off your ticker in a hurry. If you are interested in that type of diet, cycling carbs is much better for long term success.

In order to lose the fat, you need to eat correctly and exercise. There's no real way around it.

Weight is really a bad way to judge the kind of shape your in. Body fat calipers can be bought for next to nothing and can be very useful in seeing what type of progress you are making. Realize that although the scale may not show any difference, you body composition will.

I have tried the body for life thing, and although its a decent plan, there are better ways to go about it, as well as better supplement companies. Some of Bill's methods are iffy. In my opinion, the "Leaness Lifestyle" by David Greenwalt is a much better source of info (can be found at http://www.thepowerstore.com). The Bill Phillips book is as much of a sales tool (for his overpriced EAS line of supplements) as it is a work guide. Some of the stories can be motivational, but beyond that the info is pretty standardized.

There are TONS of sources of information. Some of the fitness mags are great. The better ones being Muscular Development, Muscle and Fitness, Mens Health, among a few others I don't remember off the top of my head.

Supplements are a great way to help you along the road. Despite what people may claim, most on the market right now are proven to be safe and effective time and time again. Just be sure to stay away from any company that makes claims that seem way too good to be true (like muscletech). For weight loss, the two most used and respected products on the market are Xenadrine RFA-1 by Cytodine, and Adipokinetix by Syntrax. There are many "mimick" products that are just as good, but may not always be as consistent.

Creatine is another thing that is safe, and effective. It adds LBM (lean body mass) via a process called cell volumization. Very simplistically, it hydrates the cells, causing expansion and swelling in the muscle, which stretches the fascia (membrane surrounding the muscle). That allows for greater growth. Another thing it does is create more ATP stores allowing you get a couple more reps for that extra "pump". The pump is blood rushing to the muscles.

There is LOADS of info, so much that I can't even touch upon the tip of the iceberg. But if your interested, I'll point you to some places online to look. All the info in the world won't help though if you dont WANT it. You need to be dedicated to the idea of getting in shape to get anywhere. Best thing to do is to say to yourself "for the next 12 weeks, I am gonna bust my @$$ and sacrifice the beer and pizza to get into better shape." Set yourself some reasonable goals, and go for it. After the improvment you see in that time, there will be no turning back. The getting over the first hill is the hardpart, after that its all smooth sailing.

Let me know if you have any questions. I've been into fitness for years, and know quite a bit about diet, training and supplementation and love to talk about it (moreso than reefs).

-Perry

PerryinCA
05/11/2001, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Canadian

Increase water intake. This can help to replace that psychological addiction with the hand-mouth movement from smoking, in addition to the other obvious benefits.

Exercise is important becuase it will serve to increase your basal metabolic rate i.e. weight training will increase muscle mass and as a result you'll simply burn more calories doing nothing but carrying out the most basic of daily activities.

Totally agree, especially with the water. A gallon a day is a good thing to shoot for, as well as about 8 ounces per 15min of rigorous physical activity.

Don't take shakes, powders or pills as dietary supplements. These kinds of dietary modifications don't lead to reasonable life long habits. Eat a well balanced diet (according to whatever American body it is that publishes a food guide like our Canadian one - http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hppb/nutrition/pube/foodguid/foodguide.html)

While I agree that a well balanced diet is important, its very hard to eat the amount of protein modern science has proven to be needed for muscle recouperation post-workout. Also, FDA recommendations for vitamins and minerals are put out for the average person including men/women old and young. That is totally ridiculous and should go out fo style with the undergravel filters of yesterday. In reality and active male should consume likely twice what is recommended. More in Vitamin C and E. I recommend two multi's a day for an active male, with 1000-2000mg Vit C, and 1200 IU of Vit E.

As far as supplements, listen to what you will, but be sure it is documented by medical science. Not hearsay, or bogus media sensationalism. Much of the medical community is behind the times, and thats coming for a close friend who is a M.D./professor at Stanford University. But that's hearsay.....read the journals.

-Perry

Canadian
05/11/2001, 07:06 PM
Perry, I'm not going to get into a discussion about the quantity of protein, ascorbic acid, etc that one should consume in certain situations...we would be getting way off topic and could fill a book or two with various references leaning one way or the other.

In regards to supplements, I'm not taking shots at supplements based on their content. My only caution is that statistically they go the way of fad diets in that they prove to be difficult for people to take consistently over an extended period of time, and one would be better served to ingest what dietary components they need from a reasonable and well balanced diet. This is for the average person. Now if we're talking about what an elite athlete in training should consume or a Body Builder, that's a whole new ball game. You have to remember when suggesting a diet for the average person that there are a great deal of psychological aspects involved as well.

As for Xenadrine...Ever have the gel cap break on it's way down and cough the dry, vomit inducing contents back up? :D That's reason enough to not take it IME.

PerryinCA
05/12/2001, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Canadian
Perry, I'm not going to get into a discussion about the quantity of protein, ascorbic acid, etc that one should consume in certain situations...we would be getting way off topic and could fill a book or two with various references leaning one way or the other.

Absolutely right. Like I said before, LOTS of info to be had, some of contradictory in nature.

In regards to supplements, I'm not taking shots at supplements based on their content. My only caution is that statistically they go the way of fad diets in that they prove to be difficult for people to take consistently over an extended period of time, and one would be better served to ingest what dietary components they need from a reasonable and well balanced diet. This is for the average person. Now if we're talking about what an elite athlete in training should consume or a Body Builder, that's a whole new ball game. You have to remember when suggesting a diet for the average person that there are a great deal of psychological aspects involved as well.

As for Xenadrine...Ever have the gel cap break on it's way down and cough the dry, vomit inducing contents back up? :D That's reason enough to not take it IME. [/B]

Well yours right, I did sorta stray and I apologize for that.

All I was trying to get across was that its been the experience of myself, and those who have followed my recommendations that certain supplements can help them reach levels of fitness that they wanted. This has ranged from my mom and grandparents, to friends who chose to use even illegal anabolics. So long as the supplements are used correctly, and only as a tool, not a crutch, they can be very useful for those trying to shed fat, or get into better shape.

I used (legal) supplements to go from 190 lb @ 5'8" @ 26% bodyfat to 172 lb. @ 10% in about 8 months time. I am now using them again to get back into shape (currently @ 174 lb 19% BF) after a motorcycle accident that caused two broken clavicles, and a dislocated shoulder....which was a long recovery. I have made extreme progress in only 4 weeks back at the gym.

I do agree though that there are many variables, and each person will fight their own battles. I just think that so long as one is cautious, and educates him/herself on the proper use, they can be beneficial. I DO NOT believe that they can be used as a substitue for a solid diet, and I know there is a TON of crap out there is useless/potentially dangerous, hence my emphasis on self-education.

In any case, I'm rootin' for ya Allen!

-Perry

Sparrow
05/12/2001, 11:31 PM
Hi,

I'll tell you what I do to keep healthy and active, though I must admit I never had a weight issue. I was going to sit here and analyze all the 'essays' people wrote but i'm too tired. ;)

No carbohydrates 3 hours before bed. Zero junkfood. No high sugar products - ie sugar beverages. Try to avoid sauces on your food. Plenty of exercise, I exercise 3-4 times a week for 1.5-2 hours. In your situation more cardiovascular exercise, use machine and free weights for toning. Get a trainer to teach you on the proper way of lifting weights - too many times I see people using bad form.

I'm a firm believer in the gym but you shouldn't be looking at I must lose "xx" pounds by "xx" days. If you want to lose weight, you have to change your train of thought. It's a lifestyle change and that's the only thing that'll work.

Also you should be looking at your bodyfat percentage and not pounds.

hth and good luck!